Esteemed Contributor

Re: 3 lions put down in S. Africia, it makes me mad.

I'm no builder, but can't a fence be repaired on either side.  Not a wooden one, but a wire fence which I assume this was.  If not, at least have someone watching your back.

I do not put a domesticated tabby cat and a wild predator that can get it's mouth around your throat in the same ballpark.

On the Bronx Zoo program the keepers said they always have a barrier between them and the lions and tigers, even if they raised them. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I'm no builder, but can't a fence be repaired on either side.  Not a wooden one, but a wire fence which I assume this was.  If not, at least have someone watching your back.

I do not put a domesticated tabby cat and a wild predator that can get it's mouth around your throat in the same ballpark.

On the Bronx Zoo program the keepers said they always have a barrier between them and the lions and tigers, even if they raised them. 

@CrazyKittyLvr2   That's always why accidents happen.  Something is taken for granted, forgotten, overlooked, attention strays, etc.  Hindsight is always 20/20 but in the moment we don't always consider every possibility every time.  Should of is easy to say looking back.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Despite the fact that this man was educated about wild animals and spent so much time with this lion, I fear that we all have to be careful about attaching human traits to the beautiful creatures.

Anthropomorphizing them has become more and more popular. They are not like in the movies or seeing them in a zoo.

They deserve respect precisely because they are NOT humans.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Actually, human beings are not always more important than animals. That kind of arrogant thinking is part of what has led us all to where we are with endangered species and climate change today. Humans are not at the top of the food chain....we are not the apex predators. Toss us out into the ocean or the wilds without our tools and clothing, and what happens? The odds are much more in favor of the animals. I always thought it is a good thing that something wiped out the dinosaurs, or I do not think we would all be here. This is not something meant to start a nasty argument about any particular topic either. I am just chiming in since the topic is here.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They could have shot tranquilizers instead of bullets! Zero excuse for killing wild animals who did what wild animals do. The man used poor judgement going into the area with the lions. He paid the price, but he caused the death of the lions as well. The lions were innocent, as are all animals. We are to protect and value animals even though we have dominion over them. I read the man had a very close relationship with the lion so he felt he wasn’t at risk. No wild animal is predictable.

Respected Contributor

@ThinkOutsidetheBox wrote:

Actually, human beings are not always more important than animals. That kind of arrogant thinking is part of what has led us all to where we are with endangered species and climate change today. Humans are not at the top of the food chain....we are not the apex predators. Toss us out into the ocean or the wilds without our tools and clothing, and what happens? The odds are much more in favor of the animals. I always thought it is a good thing that something wiped out the dinosaurs, or I do not think we would all be here. This is not something meant to start a nasty argument about any particular topic either. I am just chiming in since the topic is here.

For some time now, I have wondered why we humans believe we are superior to all other life forms. Are we really more intelligent just because we speak words? Animals can learn our language; can we learn theirs?

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

They could have shot tranquilizers instead of bullets! Zero excuse for killing wild animals who did what wild animals do. The man used poor judgement going into the area with the lions. He paid the price, but he caused the death of the lions as well. The lions were innocent, as are all animals. We are to protect and value animals even though we have dominion over them. I read the man had a very close relationship with the lion so he felt he wasn’t at risk. No wild animal is predictable.

Tranquilizers do not drop an animal that big immediately.  They would likely become even more enraged for a few minutes once the dart hit them. I am sure time was of the essence to try to save the man.

It breaks my heart that the man and the lions had to lose their lives. I suspect that those who work with large predators always know, deep in their hearts, that they could become a victim at any time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry-I repeated the post above.  Didn't see it.
"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Super Contributor

Montana, my cats are waaay smarter than me.  Smiley Wink. They are just smart enough to let me THINK I am in charge! ROTFL! Oh, and I should have said "other animals" in my earlier post. Humans are animals too, and we are the only ones that willfully destroy our own environment and thus food supply, eh? That does not seem so smart to me....just sayin'! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

In a case like this, where they were trying to save the life of this man, they really had no choice.  They had to use whatever means they had on hand to do it as swiftly as possible.  If it had been my father or son in that situation (or yours) wouldn't you have wanted everything possible done to save them??  Anyway you look at it,  it is tragic for both animal and man.  Yes, he made a mistake....but he didn't deserve to die for it.  It sounds to me like he loved these lions more than anyone.  He is human and let down his guard.  As sad as it was, they did the right thing.