Esteemed Contributor

3 lions put down in S. Africia, it makes me mad.

A 70 yr. old man had a lodge in S. Africia that did lectures on lions as well as tours.  There were 3 lions there.  He was fixing a fence in the enclosure and was mauled and killed.  Of course they put them down.  Why? They were wild animals and  only did what wild animals do.

If I was dumb enough to go into a space with a lion, tiger, whatever it may be, and got killed, it's my own fault. 

The article said between 6,000 and 8,000 lions are in over 200 of these places and sanctuaries in S. Africia.  More than the amount of lions in the wild.  If they are hurt, or if it's orphaned cubs, that would die othwise it's one thing, but not healthy animals.

I feel bad a person died but don't go into enclosures with things that can kill you. It's not a difficult concept to understand.  Why should the animal pay the price?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 3 lions put down in S. Africia, it makes me mad.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

A 70 yr. old man had a lodge in S. Africia that did lectures on lions as well as tours.  There were 3 lions there.  He was fixing a fence in the enclosure and was mauled and killed.  Of course they put them down.  Why? They were wild animals and  only did what wild animals do.

If I was dumb enough to go into a space with a lion, tiger, whatever it may be, and got killed, it's my own fault. 

The article said between 6,000 and 8,000 lions are in over 200 of these places and sanctuaries in S. Africia.  More than the amount of lions in the wild.  If they are hurt, or if it's orphaned cubs, that would die othwise it's one thing, but not healthy animals.

I feel bad a person died but don't go into enclosures with things that can kill you. It's not a difficult concept to understand.  Why should the animal pay the price?

I didn't read this..I can't...I try and save animals!!!!!!.I still think about Cecil...the animals always pay the price..look at the Elephants, etc.....it all breaks my heart!Smiley Sad

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Sadly, they always do.

ROAR CECIL !!!!!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Excerpt from:  news.sky.com/story/three-lions-shot-dead-in-south-africa-after-fatally-mauling-keeper-reports-11789989

Mr Loubser said the decision to shoot the lions "was made by people on the premises in order to get to the deceased" (emphasis added) and that the incident was "now a police matter".

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp   The article I read didnt say it was to get his body.   If they could shoot to kill, they could shoot to tranquilize them and get him out.  

Respected Contributor

The lions were shot so paramedics could enter & try to save his life. I'm sorry the lions died but they did the right thing...a human being is always more important than an animal.

Honored Contributor

This was a needless loss of four lives.  The man should never have gone into an enclosure with lions.  That makes no sense.  If he hadn't done that he and the lions would still be alive.  It's a very sad situation.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have been an animal advocate and environmentalist since I was a young girl.  This angers and saddens me and that doesn't even express how I truly feel.  I do know one  fact of life, no animal has ever done the damage and destruction to this earth or to each other as humans.  Animals are here for a reason, not to be slaughtered or driven to extinction.  I fear the two legged predator much more than any animal and I am thankful for all those who are out there protecting and fighting for them.

Honored Contributor

This was all 1 persons fault.  The man that entered the lions enclosure.  He is a human and should have known better.

So sad.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Leon van Biljon, 70, - known as “The Lion Man” - was killed when he was attacked from behind

Leon van Biljon, 70, known as “The Lion Man” due to his incredible friendship with his "pet" big cats, was attacked from behind by a lion he trusted.