Honored Contributor

Re: 3 lions put down in S. Africia, it makes me mad.

In a case like this, where they were trying to save the life of this man, they really had no choice.  They had to use whatever means they had on hand to do it as swiftly as possible.  If it had been my father or son in that situation (or yours) wouldn't you have wanted everything possible done to save them??  Anyway you look at it,  it is tragic for both animal and man.  Yes, he made a mistake....but he didn't deserve to die for it.  It sounds to me like he loved these lions more than anyone.  He is human and let down his guard.  As sad as it was, they did the right thing in shooting the lions.

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

The lions were shot so paramedics could enter & try to save his life. I'm sorry the lions died but they did the right thing...a human being is always more important than an animal.

That's your opinion!

Trusted Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

In a case like this, where they were trying to save the life of this man, they really had no choice.  They had to use whatever means they had on hand to do it as swiftly as possible.  If it had been my father or son in that situation (or yours) wouldn't you have wanted everything possible done to save them??  Anyway you look at it,  it is tragic for both animal and man.  Yes, he made a mistake....but he didn't deserve to die for it.  It sounds to me like he loved these lions more than anyone.  He is human and let down his guard.  As sad as it was, they did the right thing in shooting the lions.

Mad?  For OP no, I don't feel mad.  Sad.  More in line with the above post. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

The lions were shot so paramedics could enter & try to save his life. I'm sorry the lions died but they did the right thing...a human being is always more important than an animal.

That's your opinion!

@Blingqueen023, so what would you do if faced with a decision to save a human or an animal? And further, what if that human were someone you loved? Although I would hope the answer would be the same either way.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

What I take away from the article is that the fence was damaged, and needed to be repaired, so he was fixing it.

It's not like he was some dumb person from the big city, who saw lions inside an inclosure, and decided to go inside the fence and pet them.

Evidentally, he had been around them before without anything bad happening, so he figured that this time would be no different.

For whatever reason, the lions did attack him this time, and killed him.

In order to retrieve his body, the lions were killed.

I do NOT agree with killing the lions!

But I can understand why they were killed.

They now had tasted human blood, and to keep them alive would have ment that NO human would have been safe.

Four lives were lost because of a broken fence that needed to be fixed.

So sad!

@Anonymous032819  They could have sedated them with a tranquilizer gun. Humans are always quick to kill the animals. Animals are far more humane than many people these days.The whole thing is disgusting!

Respected Contributor

@Retired Legal Secretary

The stupidity of humans never ends well for any animal.  It's so sad and actually  turns my stomach.  He was in their territory and they suffered because of it.   I am sorry for the man of course, but it sounds to me as if he of all people, should have had better sense. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@Anonymous032819  They could have sedated them with a tranquilizer gun. Humans are always quick to kill the animals. Animals are far more humane than many people these days.The whole thing is disgusting!

Assuming a perfect hit into a muscle it takes at least 10-15 minutes for the tranquilizer to take effect.  A less than perfect hit can take up to 30 minutes if it takes effect at all.

If you are being attacked by an animal, any animal, are you willing to wait for a tranquilizer gun to be obtained, loaded, the dart discharged then take effect?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.