Honored Contributor

Re: 3 deaths in 8 days at Grand Canyon

Whenever I hear Grand Canyon, I think of Thelma and Louise.  DD took a school trip to the Grand Canyon, held my breath until she returned.

Esteemed Contributor

@hayseed00 

I really had hoped to do this by now, but I knew I could not ride a mule because I would feel sorry for him Cat LOL  I feel the same about horses -- and I'm not big.  Just cannot stand the idea of riding on their backs.

Yes, I know it is silly!

Nevertheless, I loved hearing your story.  

Many years back, we did fly to Grand Canyon from Las Vegas.  Then, we took a bus tour to several stops which included one on the Indian reservation where they built that big, clear horseshoe walk.  At the time, it wasn't there.  All they had were drawings of what it would look like.

We did fly a helicopter through the canyon, landed, and took a short raft ride.  It was just breathtaking.  I loved the helicopter ride and I hate flying!

I've watched YouTube videos of walking down, and it looks fascinating.  Watching the video is likely as close as I'll ever get, however.

You were very brave to ride down as I understand there are passages which are pretty dicey.

What a nice memory you have.

Honored Contributor

I know people think it's unkind to say that some people can be just stupid and irresponsible at times, but they are.

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman  I'm not sure if horses like to be rode, but we have four draft horses and they do seem to enjoy going for a carriage ride or saddle ride, they get all excited and full of the dickens.

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@deeva wrote:

When we were there, I saw many people getting too close to the edge of uneven ledges to take pics. Just plain stupid.

@deeva 

Unfortunately we can't install common sense in people. 

you can't fix stupid.....

Esteemed Contributor

In all liklihood selfies were involved.

Esteemed Contributor

When we we there years ago, I kept a death grip on my son’s hand. We saw sooo many people doing stupid, dangerous things that I asked a ranger if there had been any deaths, and he said there were some every year. I could NOT believe the way people posed their children with their backs to the edge for pictures. And this was long before cell phones. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@hayseed00 

I really had hoped to do this by now, but I knew I could not ride a mule because I would feel sorry for him Cat LOL  I feel the same about horses -- and I'm not big.  Just cannot stand the idea of riding on their backs.

Yes, I know it is silly!

Nevertheless, I loved hearing your story.  

Many years back, we did fly to Grand Canyon from Las Vegas.  Then, we took a bus tour to several stops which included one on the Indian reservation where they built that big, clear horseshoe walk.  At the time, it wasn't there.  All they had were drawings of what it would look like.

We did fly a helicopter through the canyon, landed, and took a short raft ride.  It was just breathtaking.  I loved the helicopter ride and I hate flying!

I've watched YouTube videos of walking down, and it looks fascinating.  Watching the video is likely as close as I'll ever get, however.

You were very brave to ride down as I understand there are passages which are pretty dicey.

What a nice memory you have.

@hayseed00 I’ve always wanted to ride down into the canyon - it sounds like an amazing experience!  We went to the GC about 15 yrs ago. Will probably go back but not sure when. So many beautiful places to see, so little time. 😉

@Witchy Woman I wish you could ride my gelding. He’s so laid back and just seems to love being out, whether we’re riding on the road or out in the woods. And he’s nosey!  Has to check out every mailbox we pass by. He’s a pro at getting his fly masks off and if someone enters his pasture he pretends to be busy grazing but if they leave the gate open thinking he’s not paying attention he can make it to that gate from all the way at the back of the pasture in 3 seconds!  Once out he just starts grazing and is easy to catch. 

If you ever get the chance to spend time around horses you’d see they have their own personalities, likes and dislikes. Some are more intense and focused. Others are happy-go-lucky. Mine seems to love being with people. Maybe I’m a little biased? Nah....😊🤣

Trusted Contributor

@KalliOur horses are so sweet and just love people.  I've been horse crazy ever since I can remember.  My grandpa use to take me up to his friends farm when I was about 4 yrs old and their daughter would saddle up her horse named Pat and she would let me sit in the saddle and lead me around.  I still can hear the squeak of the leather saddle, great memories.  I've had horses all my life.  Horses are beautiful, graceful creatures.

Honored Contributor

People fall off cruise ships because they drink too much