Respected Contributor

Re: 3 deaths in 8 days at Grand Canyon

I read an article recently that said that the Selfie Culture is responsible for many untimely deaths.  Not just at the Grand Canyon, but all over the world.  People have had fatal accidents on their honeymoon, on vacation, hiking, etc., when trying to take prize winning photos.  It’s very sad, but social media is to blame, IMO.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Trusted Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I have been there and don't understand how it could easily happen. I will never understand how people fall off cruise ships all the time either.

Don't kow about the Grand Canyon but on cruise ships it might be called "alcohol"!

Respected Contributor

My Grand Canyon experience was so scary at the time my DD was 5yrs old & we got a new video camera we go, no fences & DH was so busy with the camera & DD was right at the edge (I am so afraid of heights) I grab her by the tee shirt and pulled her back. Even with him & that camera he was on the edge too. I panic screaming watch what u are doing. Never again did I ever return or even want to go back. Busy with pictures not realizing they are at the edge. Scary

Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli 

@hayseed00 

I adore horses and mules, and almost anything on 4 legs Cat LOL

Horses are so soulful and truly one of the most beautiful creatures on earth.

My feelings developed, I think, in seeing the Amish carriage and work horses in my area.  Maybe it is just this area (Maryland), but they always look too thin and not well-cared for -- it breaks my heart and I want to take all of them in.

I have heard that horses do like being ridden, but every time I see one of the local horses, I just want to steal it and give it a life of luxury.

Your horses are very lucky!

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman   We also have Amish in our area, and I feel as you do about the care they give any of their livestock.  I'm not saying all Amish are that way, but I think this is a generational way of animal care, basically animals are viewed as beasts of burden.  We know many Amish, because we buy our horseshoes and harness equipment for our draft horses from them and enjoy talking with them, I just don't agree with how they care for their animals.

Trusted Contributor

Something no one else has mentioned is that some people are pushy.... I have been to the canyon several times as we live in AZ.  We take friends who come to visit to see this marvel.  However, some visitors are so rude.... they push others.  I have feared for my safety and for the safety of others.  Often these people speak a foreign language and I couldnt be understood.  So, saying something to them was useless!