Respected Contributor

Re: 2pct milk, cold coffee, frozen bananas, peanut butter, dark cocoa powder and steel cut oats equals -

Sure, leave the PB out. Just experiment. Coffee (if you like it) is a great way to go, proven to be healthy if you have no health restrictions and makes your drinks into those fancy frappacinnos.... I have also seen recipes using green tea and all kinds of things. Fun way to experiment. I am going to make one when this blender jar is empty using avocados and cucumbers - not sure what else, probabaly orange juice and maybe unsweetened Greek yogurt.

Wonder I a person cooked and mashed a sweet potato it would be good in a smoothie.

One way to find out {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

Re: 2pct milk, cold coffee, frozen bananas, peanut butter, dark cocoa powder and steel cut oats equals -

Irshgirl, you would know as you are in that profession but I have heard that one way to tell if a woman is an extreme fat avoider is to look at her skin.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/24/2015 minkbunny said:

Irshgirl, you would know as you are in that profession but I have heard that one way to tell if a woman is an extreme fat avoider is to look at her skin.

Yes I can tell right away who smokes and who avoids fat. They usually have lackluster hair and skin and regardless of what type of skin care they use or amount of water they drink it just doesn't change that. Fat is so important for so many functions our bodies do and hair, skin and brain function are just the tip of the iceberg.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

I wanted to say that I have used steel cut oats in smoothies and I really do like it. I haven't tried that with peanut butter but I think I will try it. I have been making peanut, cashew and almond butters in my Vitamix and I really like the outcome.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

On 1/24/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:
On 1/24/2015 Justina rae said:
On 1/24/2015 humpty dumpty said:

I make something similar ...

8 oz. yogurt

1 or 2 frozen bananas

2 T peanut butter

either 2% milk or cold coffee

ice cubes

Mix it all in a blender

This seems like it would be pretty high in calories and especially high in fat and carbs. Do you know if it is?

Fat and carbs are essential in our diets. The people I know who are extreme with fat and carbs are usually the ones overweight and unhealthy with bad skin and hair. The only dairy I eat is full fat, of course like everything else, I eat it in moderation but peanut butter, bananas and milk (or other dairy) aren't making Americans overweight. There are countries in Europe including France that eat 4x's butter and dairy that Americans eat and they love their carbs too. They don't have the problem with heart disease or obesity like we do and sugar is the number cause of that for Americans.

I eat a lot of dairy but lowfat. I have cheese every day despite hearing lately that people should cut down on dairy. There is a history of colon CA in my family and years ago there were reports that eating dairy on a regular basis can protect the colon. Whether that's true or not I don't know but I wound up eating dairy as a big part of my diet.

I think Europeans particularly the French maintain their weight and health because of portion control more than anything else. Their portions are probably half of what Americans eat. I agree that sugar is the enemy.

I also eat PB but would not eat one serving which is 2 tbs. I would eat maybe 1 tsp or at most 1 tbs.

Super Contributor

Fat doesn't make one fat. Actually people who eat food high in fat have been shown to take in less calories a day than those who don't. It satisfies their appetites longer.

This is what I have discovered by making my meals more about protein than carbs. I wish I had learned this sooner because I used to suffer trying to ignore my appetite.

Super Contributor

On 1/24/2015 minkbunny said:

Sure, leave the PB out. Just experiment. Coffee (if you like it) is a great way to go, proven to be healthy if you have no health restrictions and makes your drinks into those fancy frappacinnos.... I have also seen recipes using green tea and all kinds of things. Fun way to experiment. I am going to make one when this blender jar is empty using avocados and cucumbers - not sure what else, probabaly orange juice and maybe unsweetened Greek yogurt.

Wonder I a person cooked and mashed a sweet potato it would be good in a smoothie.

One way to find out {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I used to make carrot soup all the time in a blender. Cut up carrots into pieces and boil for 15-20 minutes. Put in blender with some of the pot water. I imagine it would make a good smoothie too.

Esteemed Contributor

8 oz. yogurt

1 or 2 frozen bananas

2 T peanut butter

ice cubes

Mix it all in a blender

This seems like it would be pretty high in calories and especially high in fat and carbs. Do you know if it is?

Fat and carbs are essential in our diets. The people I know who are extreme with fat and carbs are usually the ones overweight and unhealthy with bad skin and hair. The only dairy I eat is full fat, of course like everything else, I eat it in moderation but peanut butter, bananas and milk (or other dairy) aren't making Americans overweight. There are countries in Europe including France that eat 4x's butter and dairy that Americans eat and they love their carbs too. They don't have the problem with heart disease or obesity like we do and sugar is the number cause of that for Americans.

I eat a lot of dairy but lowfat. I have cheese every day despite hearing lately that people should cut down on dairy. There is a history of colon CA in my family and years ago there were reports that eating dairy on a regular basis can protect the colon. Whether that's true or not I don't know but I wound up eating dairy as a big part of my diet.

I think Europeans particularly the French maintain their weight and health because of portion control more than anything else. Their portions are probably half of what Americans eat. I agree that sugar is the enemy.

This is true. The French do eat less than us but they also don't eat as much processed food either. I rarely and I mean rarely eat processed foods. While I wouldn't call my mother a health fanantic we grew up on whole food only. Nothing came out of boxes. I have a problem colon too as I have Crohns but I do not like low fat dairy. They usually add something in to make up for the lacking taste.

Now if we are talking about people who eat a processed diet full of junk food then I agree fat (along with sodium and sugar) are the problem but for people who eat a whole food diet with fresh fruit and veg, meat, dairy, carbs, fat and sugar from the meat, dairy and fruit is rarely the cause of weight gain.

JFK
Super Contributor

8 oz. yogurt

1 or 2 frozen bananas

2 T peanut butter

ice cubes

Mix it all in a blender

This is true. The French do eat less than us but they also don't eat as much processed food either. I rarely and I mean rarely eat processed foods. While I wouldn't call my mother a health fanantic we grew up on whole food only. Nothing came out of boxes. I have a problem colon too as I have Crohns but I do not like low fat dairy. They usually add something in to make up for the lacking taste.

Now if we are talking about people who eat a processed diet full of junk food then I agree fat (along with sodium and sugar) are the problem but for people who eat a whole food diet with fresh fruit and veg, meat, dairy, carbs, fat and sugar from the meat, dairy and fruit is rarely the cause of weight gain.

As far as lowfat dairy I can recommend two delicious hard cheeses. At least I think they are. One is Cabot cheddar 50% and the other is Sargento lowfat Swiss slices. Especially if I melt them I can't taste the difference.

Your last paragraph is the key but I don't think there are too many people who do not eat processed foods. I think that's a rarity. Good for you! I've made progress but I'm nowhere near perfectly clean yet.

Esteemed Contributor

8 oz. yogurt

1 or 2 frozen bananas

2 T peanut butter

ice cubes

Mix it all in a blender

As far as lowfat dairy I can recommend two delicious hard cheeses. At least I think they are. One is Cabot cheddar 50% and the other is Sargento lowfat Swiss slices. Especially if I melt them I can't taste the difference.

Your last paragraph is the key but I don't think there are too many people who do not eat processed foods. I think that's a rarity. Good for you! I've made progress but I'm nowhere near perfectly clean yet.

Well, I have to really thank my mom. It is the way I grew up so that is how I learned to cook. When she made scalloped potatoes or any side for a meal, it didn't come out of a box so I just learned it that way. It does take more effort no doubt but I spent a Saturday or Sunday cooking and freezing so I could just reheat meals through out the week. I also love a lot of soups and I put a lot of veggies into them. Most nights I eat a meat, lentils or fish and I almost always have some sauteed spinach or kale. I have been packing my smoothies with lots of green veggies like kale, turnup greens or some other type of green. I have one every morning. My intestines don't extract all the vitamins and minerals like a healthy persons do so i have to make the most of everything I eat. While I do eat healthy I like things like butter, cream, cheese and an occasional cupcake though. I can feel it when I eat bad so I try to keep clean most of the time. I am making chicken wings for the Superbowl though and I am dunking them in melted butter and Franks hot sauce!!!

JFK