Esteemed Contributor

Re: 2nd Question from "what would you do if you found $100"

The only thing I ever found was a cell phone.  While still living in CA my daughter and  I were heading home, I was driving, when I suddenly saw a phone in the street and because their was no car behind me, I stopped and my daughter got out and picked it up.

It was so strange and all I could think was that the person had it on the roof of the car and drove off.  It became a puzzle as to how to find the owner. It had to be at least an hour when the phone rang and when I answered it a very relieved man said he was so happy to find his phone.  We agreed to meet at a local restaurant for coffee, well he suggested lunch but I told him it wasn't necessary.  Okay, are you ready to here how the phone ended up in the street?

He was driving with the window open having an argument while on the phone and was so angry he threw it out of the window and kept on driving. Once he calmed down he said he had no idea how to get it back until it dawned on him to call the number while hoping someone would answer it.  So the three of us had pie and coffee along with a great conversation with the very nice man who hopefully didn't throw his phone out of the car again.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

I found $300 on the street (3 $100 bills).  Since it was a large amount I took it the police station but no one ever claimed it so it was returned to me. 

Esteemed Contributor

I found a wedding ring set in the ladies room at restaurant and turned it in. The restaurant  took my name and number, a year later I got a call from them and no one claimed it and they said it was mine!  I went and got the rings but felt kinda bad so, I hawked them and donated the money to my area food bank. 

I also found a lot of money stuck to the washer drum in a laundry mat. It was over $800. I turned it in. 

Respected Contributor

I found a cell phone on a bus stop bench once.  Thank goodness, the owner came back for it while I was still there. Otherwise, I would have had to turn it in to the bus company’s lost-and-found.

Honored Contributor

I found a wallet at a spa.  I was changing into the spa robe and the wallet was on the floor.  I turned it into the front desk.  

I found a cell phone on my lawn one morning.  I looked in their contacts and found "mom" and called the number.  The woman answered and said her daughter lost her phone while walking her dog.  She was so happy I found it.  The daughter lived a couple blocks away and came and picked up her phone.  

Honored Contributor

I found a diamond bracelet on the floor in a movie theater. It wasn't the highest quality diamonds but I'm sure It was still expensive and very treasured by the owner. It was a matinee and I walked up to the higher seats and that's where it was. I think I was the first person in the theater.

I turned it in at customer service. I hope it got back to the owner.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

My dad found a class ring while walking maybe 12 years ago. I saw it on

a counter while visiting one day. The name inscribed was not from anyone

in their small town. They didn't have a computer, but I did.

I said I would really like to return that pretty ring to the girl who lost it.

So I looked the name up online on one of the phone book sites. I am

pretty sure I had to call at least two residences to locate her. When I 

did she said yes it belonged to her and gave me her NY address. She

was so casual about it, not over appreciative like I would be.

So the next day, I took it to the post office, spent my money on postage,

just a couple bucks to return and sent it to her. Of course my name was

on the return address label. Sent it out and never even a thank you

card for returning an expensive class ring. Very disappointing.

Honored Contributor

I found $1.00 once in a gas station parking lot.  Kept it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

A beautiful collie dog. It showed up where I worked and I brought it in the building. We were located in the middle of no where. The dog had tags and I called the # which was in IL. The dog was in N.J. I called local information for the owner listed on the tag and it was an unlisted #. Since I worked for the phone co. I called and spoke to the SA on duty and she gave me the # and I was able to reach the owner who came and got his dog. That must be 40 years ago now.

Honored Contributor

I found a Fitbit in a rack of greeting cards.  I then turned it in to a manager of the store.