Honored Contributor

Ok, so I'm nervous. Well, actually I'm a little better now,   The county where I got my first shot was a little (to say the least) disorganized at the beginning of the 65 and older phase.  First it was "you're on your own for the second shot, good luck finding it".  Yikes.

But the day I went, they said they had literally just changed the procedure and we would be contacted for our second shots.  They weren't sure how and when we'd be contacted, but rest assured. O....k....

Then people were reporting on Facebook that the county texts you one week out with your second appt date.  My friend, who had her shot a day before me received her text Wednesday evening. So I should have gotten mine last night. But, of course, I didn't. 

In the middle of the night, I was looking all over for a 2nd shot appt.  Publix, Walgreens, Costco, the health dept in the next county and a few independent pharmacies.  No openings anywhere. 

My friend also received a confirmation email and gave me the phone number. I called this morning and was on hold for 15 minutes. I spoke with a really nice woman who was very reassuring. She said they didn't finish all the scheduling yesterday so all the texts didn't go out as they should have.  She said that her grandmother (I feel so old) is due the same day as me and didn't receive her text either, and she was also nervous.  She said that I should get it some time today.  That certainly helped.

Then she said "if you DON'T receive your text by Monday morning, call us back on Monday and we'll take care of it.  We guarantee you a place". Now, that totally calmed me down.  I wasn't mad at all, just nervous about it.  Time sensitive vaccine and no appts to be had anywhere.  

So I'm hoping to get my text today, with an appt for next Thursday. Next Friday, we have potential for winter weather, "wintry mix" and this place is quite a haul from my house.

I'm really looking forward to getting this done.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Re: 2nd Covid shot appointment

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh , I got my first shot, Moderna, last Thursday.  Before leaving, they scheduled my 2nd for Feb. 25th.  I'm hopeful to get the 2nd but we'll see if that really happens.  

I hope you get that notification today.  Will keep my fingers crossed for you! 

Respected Contributor

I got my first shot yesterday and even though my arm is pretty sore, I'm glad I did. They were even able to reschedule my 2nd one.

You kind of have to game the system, though. I had to make an appt. to see my doctor about something else and THEN, if they just happen to have some doses laying around, you can get your shot. Same thing for the 2nd one.

Plus, I'm over 65 and have an underlying condition that compromises my immune system, so those may have been factored into my doctor's considerations (for both my husband and I).

Honored Contributor

I get my first shot this afternoon at Publix, when I scheduled this first one, they gave me an appt. for my 2nd, a month from now on 3/5.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

We got ours this morning and it was 30 minutes from drive in to drive out. Very well organized. We had our second appointment scheduled before we left. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yeah, that's where my county, population 770,000+ failed at the start. They didn't automatically make 2nd appts for us and sent us out into the wild on our own to make them.

Then they saw that all the other counties WERE making 2nd appts and they changed their procedure, which is great, but it hasn't been the smoothest of systems.  So there is some angst while you wait for the ever important text. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Occasional Contributor

I tried to get into one of our state's mega centers today to get our first shot. Filled out all the information then I went into a que, almost like a lottery, to be assigned a number in line.  I believe that there were 1500 doses to be given out.  I was assigned number 21,000.  CRAZY or what?  Have to try and do it all again tomorrow.  All appointments were gone in 20 minutes.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Ok, so I'm nervous. Well, actually I'm a little better now,   The county where I got my first shot was a little (to say the least) disorganized at the beginning of the 65 and older phase.  First it was "you're on your own for the second shot, good luck finding it".  Yikes.

But the day I went, they said they had literally just changed the procedure and we would be contacted for our second shots.  They weren't sure how and when we'd be contacted, but rest assured. O....k....

Then people were reporting on Facebook that the county texts you one week out with your second appt date.  My friend, who had her shot a day before me received her text Wednesday evening. So I should have gotten mine last night. But, of course, I didn't. 

In the middle of the night, I was looking all over for a 2nd shot appt.  Publix, Walgreens, Costco, the health dept in the next county and a few independent pharmacies.  No openings anywhere. 

My friend also received a confirmation email and gave me the phone number. I called this morning and was on hold for 15 minutes. I spoke with a really nice woman who was very reassuring. She said they didn't finish all the scheduling yesterday so all the texts didn't go out as they should have.  She said that her grandmother (I feel so old) is due the same day as me and didn't receive her text either, and she was also nervous.  She said that I should get it some time today.  That certainly helped.

Then she said "if you DON'T receive your text by Monday morning, call us back on Monday and we'll take care of it.  We guarantee you a place". Now, that totally calmed me down.  I wasn't mad at all, just nervous about it.  Time sensitive vaccine and no appts to be had anywhere.  

So I'm hoping to get my text today, with an appt for next Thursday. Next Friday, we have potential for winter weather, "wintry mix" and this place is quite a haul from my house.

I'm really looking forward to getting this done.  

Like you we did not get a return appointment. We were worried too. Had to call...but once I got through there was no problem. They had vaccine held for second doses...health dept in Michigan.

Now they schedule your return at the first appointment.

Respected Contributor

PS: If you do not get a follow up appointment just go on the day which you would have your follow up....they will give the vaccine to you. At least that is what we were told. Just bring your vaccine card with you and drivers license. I saw some people doing that.

Honored Contributor

We got ours today (2/5/21) at a church with two entrances.  There couldn't have been a better site. 

We got there an hour early by mistake, there were no cars turning in, two in front of us, and the longest time was the guy writing out our names and contact info by hand.

They went ahead and got us out of there.