Trusted Contributor

Re: 27 Lbs. of Costco Mac and Cheese is a Sellout!

My husband loves Mac and Cheese....good thing he doesn’t go to Costco with me....he would be loading up the cart!!!!😂😂

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@momtochloe

Thank you for the post. The reviews are funny and can you imagine seeing the reaction on the face of a Mac N Cheese lover? 

Great suggestions in the article about reusing the container.

@butterfly123 thank you my friend.  I chuckled at many of the reviews but the one that really made me smile was the grandparents that bought it for their grandson and are now on their third bucket . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wonder how they arrive at 20 years or it could be a marketing ploy - 

what if it never expires? That would be too scary to eat per test market results.

yeah, people would be okay with 20 years but 21 years or more, they draw the line

Do you have to cook all 27 lbs at one time - or can you food saver it?

Why not 30 even lbs? Does anyone know the cost?

Is there a reduced fat version? 

thansk for the laugh

My family makes Mac and Cheese from scratch for the holidays - that is only once or twice a year since the amount of cheese and fat is too too much but it is soooo good,

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey 

Update: According to Costco's website, these big bois are now officially out of stock. Here's hoping they re-stock soon. If not, please remember these have a 20-year shelf life on them, so everything will still be OK when they do come around again.

Original post, 1/10/19: Are you a person who likes pasta, cheese, things with wildly long shelf lives, or joy? Good news! Costco came up with a way to combine all of the above in their 27-pound bucket of macaroni and cheese. It's got a 20-year shelf life and holds 180 servings of the stuff. See? All buckets checked.

The mondo mac bucket has actually been around for years, but because this is the internet and we wanted to bring this to you as soon as we became aware of it (...like, an hour ago), we're telling you now. What's really important is that this thing is available for delivery and can be at your door in five-to-seven days if you order it through Costco. Also, the whole thing costs $89.99 which is just about $0.50 per mac & cheese serving.

Chef's Banquet Macaroni & Cheese Storage Bucket 180 Servings
costco.com
$89.99

The store doesn't straight-up give you examples of what you'd need something like this for, but I can think of a few right off the top of my head: Superbowl party, award show party, book club, Sunday, family reunio—

Oh, OK, fine. You want to know what you're actually committing to before you buy 27 pounds of something. I get it. Rest assured this six-gallon vat comes to you exactly as advertised: filled to the brim with elbow pasta and cheddar cheese sauce. And while the two ingredients come packaged separately, Costco says the end result looks like this (but multiplied by 180, of course):

COSTCO

Per one customer review, it really does turn out that way. "Honestly, I was expecting something that tasted horrible," the commenter wrote. "I was surprised to find out that it was very good."

Do you really need any more convincing re: this never-ending vortex of cheesy carbs? I didn't think so.

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

Wonder how they arrive at 20 years or it could be a marketing ploy - 

what if it never expires? That would be too scary to eat per test market results.

yeah, people would be okay with 20 years but 21 years or more, they draw the line

Do you have to cook all 27 lbs at one time - or can you food saver it?

Why not 30 even lbs? Does anyone know the cost?

Is there a reduced fat version? 

thansk for the laugh

My family makes Mac and Cheese from scratch for the holidays - that is only once or twice a year since the amount of cheese and fat is too too much but it is soooo good,

@Yahooey

Kinda reminds me of this:

B234AAF0-36C3-4DE9-972E-88457F9159B5.jpeg

Honored Contributor

That's enough comfort food to last through many days of cabin fever!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I wonder how many preservatives are in that stuff to keep for 20 years.  It might taste good, but I am sure it is garbage.  

It is better than nothing in an emergency, but I'd rather serve the good homemade stuff to my family and friends for non emergent meals.

No wonder people are sick and overweight. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

probably for a school or some other kind of facility

Actually @SharkE I think it may be one of those emergency kits for folks that live in areas that may experience extended periods of time without power so you have these foods that you just add hot water and have nice meals.  It just made me laugh that folks read about this in People magazine and cleaned out Costco of their stock!

@momtochloe  Better pack some laxatives in that emergency kit if consuming Mac and cheese for Days!😄

Respected Contributor

@Pliqueajour wrote:

20 year shelf life!!!!

WOW!

🙀

Then when the maggots get in there you've got some protein to go with it.

Respected Contributor

It sounds repulsive. I would have to be seriously desperate.