Honored Contributor

Re: 26,000 college grads in PA. default on their college loans, what do you think about that!

[ Edited ]

Today's generation (not all) thinks going to the best (high tuition) colleges, is going to produce the most prestigious jobs. Wrong!  Somebody I know went to the one of the best colleges around, and is now in LE (not their major). Their loans are over 1,000 a month.

I would go to a 2 year college, and work, then transfer to a state school. I tell my own kid go to trade school instead, and learn a specific skill. (whether it be HVAC etc.) There will always be a need for a specific skill. Sure one won't be rich, but they won't have huge loans they can't pay, and still have to live at home.

I am not talking about being a medical Doctor./teacher etc. (you have to have the degree/ loans) I am talking about going to an expensive college, and majoring in like political science etc. It's hard to get a good job.

edit-typos

Honored Contributor

Re: 26,000 college grads in PA. default on their college loans, what do you think about that!

Missy1:  Yes, as I've stated somewhere here before, most 'person-to-person' jobs can't be outsourced overseas.  Anything electronic can (and will be, just 'wait and see'). 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

I agree that the high cost of student loans is excessive. Much of the blame goes to the banks who are so eager to lend money to students. And a large part of the blame is due to the schools themselves. At our state (land grant) university, when the administration can't cover all the high cost of administrative and teacher salaries and the cost of new (often unnecessary) buildings, the first thing they do is raise tuition.

The poor quality of instruction, the huge size of the classes, the impersonal treatment of students all add to a less than positive experience. Few parents can afford to risk their savings to pay for school and yet if we don't educate our young people -- the future leaders of our country -- what will be the result?

Honored Contributor

Burnsite:  'Trouble is' that some roads, bridges, and whatever else (maybe dams, etc.), are still a mess.  Sad to say.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I think students loans are horrible.  I'd say they are the work of the devil if I believed in the devil.  

First of all , as a former teacher who is still working in education, not everyone should, needs or can go to college.  And there are scholarships and grants that go unused every year.

Second of all, paying 40K+ to take Freshman English 101 is insane.  Most college students should go to community college or a local cheaper 4 year school the first two years.  Once the really KNOW what their major is, transfer to the BIG school of their choice.

Thirdly, no one says you HAVE to  finish a four year degree in four years.  Take fewer classes and work part time to pay for college.  

Fourth, no matter what school and what their grades are, they most likely will NOT get that high paying dream job right out of university so paying all of that money for 4+ years is crazy.  

Fifth, here's an idea, get a degree from a cheaper 4 years school, make good grades and get a Master's in your speciality.  Time and money much better spent.  

The idea of coming out of college in debt is one of the worst things I can think of.  And there is no reason for it, IMO.

My rant is over!!!  

Esteemed Contributor

The cost of a private university education has become impossibly expensive. Even state schools cost big bucks. Still, going to a state school saves money. My grandchildren will be going to state schools, and with their college funds that we've been putting money into from the day they were born, they will not be in debt when they graduate. Many state schools have become very competitive because of the cost of private universities. Still, to have young people start their adult lives in burdensome debt is a terrible idea.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

bridgegal: I agree with you. It took me way more than 4 years to graduate. I worked, and had a pretty good job. I went to college both part-time/full-time. I went to a community college first, and then commuted to a 4 year STATE college. (not everyone has a college near by) I had zero loans/debt with a BA. The problem I have had is not the degree, it was not going with the right career path. Now, it's hard to get any  job when you are older. I recommend to ladies get a career going before the marriage/kids. Don't think after being a SAHM for a long time, and then going back to the workforce is going to be easy. Even working part time with kids, is a plus. 

Respected Contributor

Rosemary--I agree about the roads and bridges.  We should invest in them or we won't have them.  Same for our most precious resource, our children and young people.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember that the University system had money and lots of it from investments etc (Endowments)

As someone mentioned previously, huge sums seem to be available for sports.

Some of the vast investment money should go from the U to help defray the cost to the student.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Depending upon who owns the loans........ these people are going to be in for a HUGE surprise many years from now when there social securtiy payments are 'garnished' to pay back what they owe.

Why should the taxpapers foot the bill for irresponisble people.