Honored Contributor

Re: 26,000 college grads in PA. default on their college loans, what do you think about that!

@LTT1 wrote:

@LTT1, Part of what game and who are the players?

@ChynnaBlue@blackhole99  To be clear, what I meant by "part of the game" -- here is what I meant:

Those who go for their first year only (or one semester only) produce revenue for the school, right?

So, what is to stop a school from accepting those who cannot succeed at their school from allowing them to attend?  What would a school have to lose?  Is there a risk to the school for allowing more to attend?  no

If they intentionally let in people who cannot succeed just to get paid, it lowers their graduation rates. Lower graduation rates make a school less desirable so fewer students and their tuition fees will even apply to the school. Low graduation rates + student loans can also attract the attention of the federal government, as we've seen in cases like the University of Phoenix, some technical schools, and others. Many have been investigated and in considerable trouble for a while and many almost lose their accreditation, which also makes them less desirable and can get them shut down.

That's a dangerous game to play.

Honored Contributor

Re: 26,000 college grads in PA. default on their college loans, what do you think about that!

[ Edited ]

I don't know anything about the loans of today, but I do hear about how some (not most) parents (usually the moms; dads, not so much) have co-signed student loans (or whatever they're called).  Sometimes young-ish teens don't give it a thought, at, say, the age of seventeen.  Sometimes they just 'figure' that dear mom will eventually pay the bills, etc.  Lots of 'dilly-dallying' in college by young-ish, not-so-serious teens going on. (Not taking the correct classes, changing majors, etc.). Just from what I've been hearing from 'this and that' person around here.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

'Come to think of it' (again), I'm now recalling a Steve Harvey Show episode:  A college counselor asked (in his Ask Steve segment):  Why are some parents so much against students changing their majors? The counselor said that she was frustrated because she was having problems with some parents not wanting their kids to change their majors. That's when Mr. Harvey said that he was tired of all of the very common major-changing (expensive for the parents).  And that's why he told his kids (sons, I believe) to stop changing their majors, and to get a degree in 'Something', go out and get a job.  They can then go out later, and get other degrees on their own while they are working.  (Don't quote me; I'm just recalling what I remember.)  Please note: It was said in that humorous Steve Harvey sort of way.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@LTT1, Part of what game and who are the players?

@ChynnaBlue@blackhole99  To be clear, what I meant by "part of the game" -- here is what I meant:

Those who go for their first year only (or one semester only) produce revenue for the school, right?

If they intentionally let in people who cannot succeed just to get paid, it lowers their graduation rates. Lower graduation rates make a school less desirable so fewer students and their tuition fees will even apply to the school. Low graduation rates + student loans can also attract the attention of the federal government, as we've seen in cases like the University of Phoenix, some technical schools, and others. Many have been investigated and in considerable trouble for a while and many almost lose their accreditation, which also makes them less desirable and can get them shut down.

That's a dangerous game to play.

@ChynnaBlue  Thank you for this knowledgeable response!  I really do thank you... I didn't realize or consider these factors!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Honestly , I feel anyone who defaults on a student loan should go to jail.  An example needs to be set!

Are you serious?

Honored Contributor

Interesting new approach to allowing students to use federal student loans for (more practical?) training programs:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/us-looks-to-let-students-use-federal-aid-for-training...

Respected Contributor

Oh well maybe if this country addressed the high cost of college we would not have so many people having to take out loans.

I think it is ridiculous how much college cost. My DD graduated college in 2010. Her full tution/board/expenses including books etc came to a total of no less then $230,000.00.

Fortunately we paid zero. She busted his you know what and got good grades played sports and was awarded a full ride scholarship. That being said we would never been able to afford that kind of money or taken out that kind of loans if she did not get her scholarship. Was her college worth that expense in hind sight heck no. No school is worth that. We are paying for football programs and coaches making millions and every other crazy thing that has not one iota to do with getting a good job when you graduate.

Her schools tuition has gone up since she graduated in 2010 and will continue to rise. Why are these schools not being held accountable for the lies they are selling? We have brilliant college grads who can not get jobs or they get jobs that can not pay towards their debt or their futures. But we keep sending these kids in telling them to get a good job you need that diploma. What a load of bs.  

Why do we not have a hearing on these people the way we do with Wall Street and every other major corp. head. These are no longer colleges but major corporations that  have little to show for their high cost of entry. But their trustees are sitting pretty while families struggle. What a racket. 

My daughter was fortunate to get hired 4 days after graduating but it is not in her chosen field. She has been successful because she knows how to diversify and is ambitious. She worked hard and has been lucky. She is not the norm in this day and age.

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom I hear you...

Respected Contributor

I agree that tuition is way too high, but there are too many kids going to college who shouldn't.  It's ridiculous to start off your life with such negatives. 

Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, many of the affluent in this country prefer college to be kept costly so that they keep their exclusive upper class status.  Too many are interested in their own privilege and are worried that "others" will somehow start to climb the economic ladder.  They then frame their arguments against college for everyone in a way that lures in many of those they want to see kept out of higher education.  Exclusivity is the reason many want to see our class system preserved.  The only way to solve the problem is for the dwindling middle class to stop trusting and eating up the lame explanations of the 1%.  People need to research and THINK rather than make decisions based on sound bytes and tweets.