Respected Contributor

Re: 24 hours in Miami - what would you do?

[ Edited ]

Thinking about Miami some more, and just wanted to add to my prior post a kind of warning avout South Beach. The Art Deco hotels and spaces are wonderful but  I have probably had more disappointing meals there than any other part of Miami, so do check reviews on Trip Advisor or Yelp. As in any city, it is easy to spend a lot of money on a very mediocre dining experience. 

I think the Jungle Island used to be Parrot Jungle?  I haven't been in recent years; it moved because it was in a genteel area south of Miami and the affluent neighbors didn't allow them to expand their space or their hours.  The original attraction was delightful, and maybe they did the new one well, too.  The "marching flamingos" vignette on the opening credits of Miami Vice were one of the attractions at Parrot Jungle.  I usually don't hold with performing animals, but they did it in ways appropriate to these highly intelligent birds.  They even had a section of "retired" parrots, who still were very interested in interacting with tourists. The charm of the original was partly in the parklike, quiet setting.  Wild parrots were fed every sunset, so one would see the birds in the trees as well as in cages along the walks. 

ETA: I think the cages, which were about twelve feet square, were as much to protect the birds from the tourists as vice-versa. I think they were only kept in the cages during the park hours.  The original concept of the park was "no cages."  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Burnsite, as I recall Parrot Jungle, now Jungle Island, was moved because of a hurricane that destroyed the site (perhaps Andrew).  The new park is very animal friendly and quite beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

24 hours in Miami - what would you do?

Depends why I was there for 24 hours. Nothing in Miami that interests me. No hockey arena/probably not Nascar Tracks or Dray Races near by. Soooo?

Now am I in a hotel paid for my an airline, or exactly why am I there? 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

John,

We will be in Miami on purpose. Our flight out leaves the next day. Since I have never been there, I wanted at least a little time to see something in Miami. I would have stayed longer but my sister still works, so she did not want to take more days.

I was not thinking of hockey. As the mom of 2 figure skaters, I spent too much time in ice rinks over the years. Your comments about hockey did remind me to check if there are any good shows or concerts that night. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello , gmkb, Andrew (1993; I was there and it was awful) did devastate the site and many of the parrots were lost.  But the park didn't move til 2003 or so. Many of the birds returned, and they did reopen on the old site, but they needed to expand too.  According to a newspaper story I read, they weren't allowed to expand because the neighbors were concerned.  It's a beautiful suburb of Miami.  (Sort of thing I like, anyway, really old Florida, not coookie cutter McMansions.)

I only was at Parrot Jungle twice, but remember a magical walk through the park with my mother when I was 8 years old.  My brother, his wife and I went again to the park when they were visiting because of those long-ago happy memories. We returned in the early 2000s, and it was still quite charming.  A year or two later they went to Watson's Island and I hope they are doing well.  They are very eco-conscious.

Trusted Contributor

I second a trip to Vizcaya. It is a beautiful home right on the water. There is always the zoo, and if you like to shop, check out Sawgrass Mall. It is humongous and in the shape of an alligator!

Coconut Grove is also a nice place to do some window shopping or a nice lunch.

Esteemed Contributor

For one thing, I'd like to take a tour of Art Decon Miami. I love the style, and I hear Miami has lots of it.

Honored Contributor

There are probably buses that do tours of the city.  That way you don't have to worry about being lost all the time.

My sister and I took a cruise that left from San Juan, PR.  We went a day early so we had time to see the city and hired the taxi driver who took us to our hotel to come back and take us on a tour.  He was very knowledgable and personable.  Gave us a great tour then took us to our ship.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

hang out at the strip clubs and get hammered~~

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. I have written them down and will check the websites. I am really looking forward to this trip. Wish I could fit it all in, but not enough time.

Is there anything to do in Little Havana other than eat Cuban food?