Trusted Contributor

Re: 🍪 2020 Girl Scout Cookies 🍪

You really did a good deed, since, it sounds like 4 yr olds can't be Daisies. 

I was curious and looked it up. Information says they're 5-7 years old, and in kindergarten and first grade. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

It's definitely true that very little of the cookie profits actually stay with the local Girl Scout troop. When my daughter was selling them, the cookies were 3.00 a box and the local troop selling them only saw about about 20 cents for every box sold, not even 10% of the selling price. 

About the time she left the GS, the organization had changed baking companies, the quality suffered and the cookies were never the same to me. I sure do miss those Lemon Chalet Cremes. 

@Maltichonmom17 

not sure how true that is......

According to the official Girl Scout cookie program page, 100 percent of the net profits from Girl Scout cookie sales, or about 65 - 75 percent of the cost of each box, stays in your local community. According to a recent report via Time, an average a box of cookies costs a whopping $5.

The more you sell in the first order, the more you make off each box.

its a BIG business......

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/1/24/18195824/girl-scout-cookies-explained-thin-mints-buy

If you read "stays in local community", you have to understand that only means national does not get a cut.

Council is local.  The split is between the troop doing the work and council.

And council holds the power.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining 

i honestly dont think the troops themselves are making only twenty cents a box, especially on the intial sales order.

but yes, it is up to regional council how the split goes......and they do get support from their local councils (which isnt measured into the monies the troop recieves directly.)

via the article i posted.......

How exactly the profits get divided is again up to the regional council, but for a case study, let’s turn to the Girl Scouts of Western Pennsylvania, who break down their financials like this:

• 50 percent goes to council-sponsored programs, events, properties, training, and scholarships.
  • 24 percent goes to the cost of the cookies.
  • 23 percent goes to troop proceeds, girl recognitions, and service unit bonuses.
  • 3 percent goes to the cost of Cookie Program support.

then these figures are from 2016.....

The going rate is $4 a box, but only $.64 stays with the girls at first. "It depends on how many cookies you initially sell," said Ruda. "The more you sell in the first order, the more you make off each box." $1.20 goes toward the cost of the cookie.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/local/how-much-cash-girl-scouts-make-on-cookies/95-87417679

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I don't think the girls learn anything from the program.  I can't even remember the last time a scout came to my door to sell me cookies.  The parents do all the work which really negates the whole idea.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac   Aldis has a very good thin mint that's similar and cheaper, other types also like the coconut ones.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I don't think the girls learn anything from the program.  I can't even remember the last time a scout came to my door to sell me cookies.  The parents do all the work which really negates the whole idea.  

most of the time i see them in front of grocery stores selling the cookies. the girls really seem to enjoy it and the parents just hover around and let them do the talking.

one of the last times i purchased they were set up outside of a local school while voting was taking place. that was pretty smart to set up there. there was a nice flow of people for hours.

you are right though......sometimes it falls on the parents.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@1Snickers  Thank you.  Will try to make it to Aldis tomorrow morning before the 48 hr rain storm expected to start sometime in the a.m.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Still Raining 

i honestly dont think the troops themselves are making only twenty cents a box, especially on the intial sales order.

but yes, it is up to regional council how the split goes......and they do get support from their local councils (which isnt measured into the monies the troop recieves directly.)

via the article i posted.......

How exactly the profits get divided is again up to the regional council, but for a case study, let’s turn to the Girl Scouts of Western Pennsylvania, who break down their financials like this:

• 50 percent goes to council-sponsored programs, events, properties, training, and scholarships.
  • 24 percent goes to the cost of the cookies.
  • 23 percent goes to troop proceeds, girl recognitions, and service unit bonuses.
  • 3 percent goes to the cost of Cookie Program support.

then these figures are from 2016.....

The going rate is $4 a box, but only $.64 stays with the girls at first. "It depends on how many cookies you initially sell," said Ruda. "The more you sell in the first order, the more you make off each box." $1.20 goes toward the cost of the cookie.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/local/how-much-cash-girl-scouts-make-on-cookies/95-87417679

check again, not my quote 😊

Honored Contributor

I saw the girl scouts selling cookies outside the grocery store yesterday.

So I got the Lemon-Ups that I read about here on the forums!

They were absolutely awful but they have these cute messages like the Polar Exress-"Leader" "strong" "creative" etc.

I love lemon but these are just not good.

They were $4 and its okay, cause i used to be a Brownie and a Girl scout tooSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

most of the time i see them in front of grocery stores selling the cookies. the girls really seem to enjoy it and the parents just hover around and let them do the talking.

In my neck of the woods, the GS sitting in front of the supermarkets take payments in the forms of......

Paypal

CC

Apple Pay

Cashier Checks

Neighbors, friends & family take payment in the forms of.....

CASH only  Smiley LOL

Door to door selling is prohibited because of the dangers & the no soliticing policies.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif