Esteemed Contributor

Re: 🍪 2020 Girl Scout Cookies 🍪

[ Edited ]

i remember being the drop-off house for all the cookies...my dining room was filled with cases and cases of cookies!!  nice memory...my 'brownie' is now 46! just bought 8 boxes from my granddaughter....where does the time go.....

Honored Contributor

daisy scouts are not new. they have been around since 1984.

prior to that they were called pixies, beginning in 1976.

our girl scouts sell the cookies during the fall season.

depending on your area, you may or may not be able to find them this time of the year.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I remember when my next door neighbor was a Daisy Scout - and she’s about 41 now, been practicing law for years. So Daisys are not exactly a new thing. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

LOL @Mz iMac , that is a good end of the work day laugh!Woman LOL

I was a girl scout back in the day but you started as a brownie....what in the world is going on now!

The brown uniform was awlful and we had to wear that brown beanie hat, I think I was a little happier with the junior uniform that had the sash cadette uniform and the green beanie hat, I felt more grown up I guess.

I remember selling those cookies they were so good the livingroom would be full of boxes like when my mother had her tupperware parties....LOL.  I think my father made sure he brought a good amount just to keep at the house.  

Trusted Contributor

It's definitely true that very little of the cookie profits actually stay with the local Girl Scout troop. When my daughter was selling them, the cookies were 3.00 a box and the local troop selling them only saw about about 20 cents for every box sold, not even 10% of the selling price. 

About the time she left the GS, the organization had changed baking companies, the quality suffered and the cookies were never the same to me. I sure do miss those Lemon Chalet Cremes. 

Honored Contributor

When my DD was in scouts she started out as a "Daisy" back in 1990 or so.  She was five years old.  She's almost 35. So yes a Daisy scout is a thing and has been around for at least 30 years if not longer.

After her year in kindergarten we moved to PA and she continued with scouts for a few more years as a Brownie.  I was cookie mom and it was dangerous for me to have cases of cookies stored over a brutal winter!

As much as I love GS cookies (thin mints are my favs!) I'm going to abstain this year since I'm trying very hard to stick with my low carb way of eating.

I think your manager has nerve to assume that you'll buy a case of cookies!...a box or two should be enough even though you bought more from another GS.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@beckyb1012  My daughter was a Brownie.  You're right, that was the lowest.  Ugly brown uniform.  Rock bottom "back in da day."  Wait till I tell her about "Daisy."173836.gif

Here is the one from years.  Meetings were always on Monday since my Great-Grandmother was our leader and she closed her Beauty Salon on Mondays.  I had the gloves too.  Mama Jack was very into all the girlie things.

Image result for brownie uniform 1968"

LOL!  Yup this is the uniform that I had in second & third grade 

Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

It's definitely true that very little of the cookie profits actually stay with the local Girl Scout troop. When my daughter was selling them, the cookies were 3.00 a box and the local troop selling them only saw about about 20 cents for every box sold, not even 10% of the selling price. 

About the time she left the GS, the organization had changed baking companies, the quality suffered and the cookies were never the same to me. I sure do miss those Lemon Chalet Cremes. 

@Maltichonmom17 

not sure how true that is......

According to the official Girl Scout cookie program page, 100 percent of the net profits from Girl Scout cookie sales, or about 65 - 75 percent of the cost of each box, stays in your local community. According to a recent report via Time, an average a box of cookies costs a whopping $5.

The more you sell in the first order, the more you make off each box.

its a BIG business......

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/1/24/18195824/girl-scout-cookies-explained-thin-mints-buy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

My daughter was in scouts......she was first a Daisy...then a Brownie...then a Girl Scout.  It is Real!!....Being a Daisy is a Real part of Girl Scouts.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter was a daisy, she wasn't four, I'd say she was around 6. Then she became a brownie, it's definitely a thing.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it