Respected Contributor

2020-2021 School year will open on campus

Got the email today that our school district will be opening as traditional face to face on campus for the new school year.  My daughter will be entering the 9th grade, her first year in high school and I'm just not sure how I feel about this.  The email did say there will be more cleaning, etc....plexi glass in some areas.  They also said there will be asigned seating on buses and that social distancing can't be enforced on the bus.  There will be more information coming and we can submit questions.  I'm wondering how they came to this decision with the rise in Covid 19 cases? 

Honored Contributor

Re: 2020-2021 School year will open on campus

They didn't offer a virtual classroom option at all?

I tell you, my heart aches for all the parents, caregivers, teachers, etc., who have to enter this next school season.

Respected Contributor

My SIL is a middle school teacher (who says she's retiring.) Her school district has divided students into 3 groups: Mon/Tue, Thu/Fri, and online daily. When the first 2 groups are not in school, they study online. Everyone must wear masks and there'll be fewer students so they can social distance. There will be fewer students on the bus, but she thinks many parents will drive their children instead. Her district has the option of online learning. Contacting your district for online options could help. I also just saw a commercial for K12dotcom. Onine/distance learning for a year might be a good option.

Super Contributor

My daughter's school is also going back for face to face instruction.  I'm not sure if masks will be required but they are doing all they can to enforce other policies.

Honestly, I am not afraid as the risk is miniscule for the under 18 crowd. And the people I know who have had Covid had mild symptoms. You only hear of the dire situations but there are many who had Covid and recovered just fine.  Yes positive tests are going up but that does not equate to deaths. In my area 93% of all deaths were age 65+.  Most were 80+ and with people who had other comorbidities. Not to say those lives did not count, but the real risk for children is low.

The alternative is to wait until we have a vaccine but I don't see that happening for a long time if ever. For my daughter to miss out on her education is not an option.  And online schooling is simply not the same.

Regular Contributor

As a parent, I understand where you are coming from.  However, as a teacher, I am very scared to go back.  My exposure will be what seems like a million times more than what I have now by staying home.  Although the kids may not be exposed to as many people as before, teachers will be as we will have to see different groups of students and be in the building every day.  I'm very nervous.

Contributor

Yes! As a teacher,  I share your same concerns!

Honored Contributor

I believe our local districts are having the parents choose.  They can either stick to online learning or do face to face.  I think they have to let the district know by mid July which option they want.  

Honored Contributor

@the busy brunette  I was never so sick as when I did my student teaching.  The first week of swapping bugs is no joke.  Happened every year.  I feel for you!  

Regular Contributor

Thank you.  I hate that there are so many unknowns!

Respected Contributor

As a fellow educator, I am also nervous to go back. Our system is also having parents choose face to face instruction or remote learning.  I have a lung disease but it has been stablized for the past 6 years.  One option that they have for employees in my district is to take FMLA leave.  I decided not to choose that yet.  Although I do have the days, I also have 3 years left before I retire.  I am going to give it a chance and see.  If I need to take leave, I will do what is best for my health and the health of my family.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!