Esteemed Contributor

2019 New Years Resolutions Update

or as I name them goals. So far I have done great at getting rid of things that I no longer have a use for. More space, less to take care of. I have done great at no more social media debates or rants. I They never move the needle, it really is just venting about what we want. That worked wonders for my peace of mind. I do my research and then vote. What I am behind on is my clean eating and muscle toning. I thought I would be further along in that so I have to plan that out now. I love to read about other posters journeys (how New age is that word?).

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

Re: 2019 New Years Resolutions Update

I am being forced to clean out things.  A month ago one of my toilets leaked which flooded the bathroom, hallway/foyer, into both bedrooms and a little bit into the living/dining room.  By the time I discovered it a lot of water damage was done but I laid down as many towels and blankets as I had and prevented it from going into the kitchen.  Drywall has been removed and replaced, baseboards/trim has been removed and replaced.   The vanity and toilet have been removed, a new vanity has gone in.  I am now at the point where the new flooring can go in soon but I need to declutter a few rooms before that can be done.  I told the contractor that the new flooring can go in the bathroom and hallway/foyer but I'll have to wait until I get things cleared out of the other areas.  They have a company that will come and pack up my stuff and store it at their facility but I turned that down as I don't want people packing up my stuff and taking it away.  And I've heard horror stories about some storage facilities - bugs, rodents, etc.  It'll all  get done eventually and I'm trying not to put any unnecessary pressure on myself.   

Honored Contributor

Moving- 2019

I wanted to move to a new location here in DFW before June.

In fact, I just got notification I can pick up the keys for the new apt

on Friday. 🥳  

Kinda scary since I don’t like change, but it’s good to shake

things up, yes?  And since I’ve been on a quasi-minimalist

downsizing for some time, this really forces me to rid myself

of a lot of stuff...and have the new place reflect that minimal look.

A dear friend of mine gave me some ‘intention’ cards 

(Cheryl Richardson Self-Care Cards). I pull one each day...

and this past week I’ve gotten the ones for risk-taking, 

releasing ties to the past and today’s card,

“Think Big! There are unseen forces ready to support your dreams!”

I know not everyone believes in this, but wow...I’m so surprised

those would be the cards (out of a 52-card deck) I pulled!

The universe is behind my move.

Now, only if it could help me pack! Ha. 

Honored Contributor

I was able to part with some old Barbie furniture from the 1967. Funny thing is I need to get rid of about 100 Nancy Drew books but I want to read them one more time. My home isn't cluttered, but I feel I still have too much stuff.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

I was able to part with some old Barbie furniture from the 1967. Funny thing is I need to get rid of about 100 Nancy Drew books but I want to read them one more time. My home isn't cluttered, but I feel I still have too much stuff.

My Grandmother was 84 when she wanted something quick and easy to

read ....and picked up Nancy Drew again ...

Frequent Contributor

2019 resolutions and Nancy Drew!  I recently sold my house and had to do a major declutter and downsize in the process. I had a collection of Nancy Drew books from my mom, that I read growing up. I could not part with all but got rid of about half of them and kept the oldest ones from the 30's-50's. I actually am reading one right now  - The Secret of the Old Clock. In the process of moving, I got rid of so much, including hundreds of cookbooks, kitchen stuff and most of my furniture. All my belongings are currently in a 10x15 storage unit and I am living in temp furnished apartment while I get settled in the area.

I achieved my goal in 2018/2019 to sell my house and start over somewhere new. I quit my job and here I am in LA looking for work and trying not to panic! I know I will be okay but as a woman over 50 finding a job is not easy and despite all the networking and experience I have and jobs I have applied to, the interviews are few and far between.  I recently did some consulting for my sister's business and I am trying to enjoy the free time but ultimately I need to work.

Honored Contributor

Good for you, @Nancy Drew and others making progress on your goals!  Inspiring.