Esteemed Contributor

Re: 2018 Social Security raise

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

DH & I both got our first check of 2018 today and both of us got more than we expected. According to our SS letter we went from $104 to $134 on medicare and got a 2% COLA. So we each expected to only see about $2 in our check. However I got $11 and DH got $10+change.So now we're wondering why. No complaining - just wondering.

You take your amount paid to you in 2017 and multip!y by 2%. This will give you the new amount. Then take the increase and subtract from your monthly payment this year due to the medicare increase.  

For example, you were paid $2000 per month last year. You received a 2% COLA increase, tnerefore your new amount would be $2040. Your Medicare increase was $20. Therefore, your new monthly amount would be $2020. Hopefully, this will explain your payment. The Medicare was $110.00 for last year and was increased to $134.00 this year.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@151949

I thought SS did away w/checks years ago?

Are you kidding?

I'm sure she isn't.  She meant in favor of electronic deposits.  

Oh, Ok LOL

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

@151949 wrote:

DH & I both got our first check of 2018 today and both of us got more than we expected. According to our SS letter we went from $104 to $134 on medicare and got a 2% COLA. So we each expected to only see about $2 in our check. However I got $11 and DH got $10+change.So now we're wondering why. No complaining - just wondering.

You take your amount paid to you in 2017 and multip!y by 2%. This will give you the new amount. Then take the increase and subtract from your monthly payment this year due to the medicare increase.  

For example, you were paid $2000 per month last year. You received a 2% COLA increase, tnerefore your new amount would be $2040. Your Medicare increase was $20. Therefore, your new monthly amount would be $2020. Hopefully, this will explain your payment. The Medicare was $110.00 for last year and was increased to $134.00 this year.

shoekitty said

not me, not my mom or a few friends.  My moms ss check is short 100 dollars.  Her medicare increase went from 129 to 297.  My Ss check was cut 300 dollars.  It all went to medicare.  First year medicare.

my mom pays medicare 297, she buys a suppliment for 305, and still pays a deductible for rx.  Today we went to get patches and they were 227, we always pay 106.  The balance was deductible.  What gets me is she is 97 and never used medication ever on a regular basis.  Only an antibiotic every other year or so, and she just paid for it herself.  Last uear she started meds for the first time.  She gets the memory patches, and one other med for about 26 bucks.   Thats it.  She sees a doctor every 3 months.  Never had surgery or been on hospital. Mthey make money on her.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@elated wrote:

@151949 wrote:

shoekitty said

not me, not my mom or a few friends.  My moms ss check is short 100 dollars.  Her medicare increase went from 129 to 297.  My Ss check was cut 300 dollars.  It all went to medicare.  First year medicare.

my mom pays medicare 297, she buys a suppliment for 305, and still pays a deductible for rx.  Today we went to get patches and they were 227, we always pay 106.  The balance was deductible.  What gets me is she is 97 and never used medication ever on a regular basis.  Only an antibiotic every other year or so, and she just paid for it herself.  Last uear she started meds for the first time.  She gets the memory patches, and one other med for about 26 bucks.   Thats it.  She sees a doctor every 3 months.  Never had surgery or been on hospital. Mthey make money on her.

As has been explained to you here on the boards many times - those who are HIGHER INCOME pay more for their medicare. After a certain income point is reached you pay a % instead of a flat rate. If I were you I'd be grateful I'm in that income bracket.

Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

@151949 wrote:

That is not correct.  Maybe for some people, but certainly not for everyone.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@tobes  The TEMPORARY tax reduction.

Well, if you are not happy that it is to "temporary", why don't you tell them you don't want it or give it to a charity.

Valued Contributor

That's nice.  People who work didn't get a raise.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

more deductions for people with kids, little bit more in your paychecks, etc.

You'll be thinking different after you work 50 yrs. although I doubt SS will be around in 50 yrs.  

Walmart gave their workers a raise, Wells Fargo few others

Honored Contributor

@CHATTY wrote:

That's nice.  People who work didn't get a raise.

Some people who work got raises I'm sure.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand the mind set of younger people who begrudge older folks who have worked all their lives and raised their kids and now can sit back and enjoy what time they have left any peace of mind

I really don't.   Older folks now have health issues, mental issues, and we got young whiners who want to take away what little benefits we get from the money we or our husbands have made.

Are people that mean and self centered ?