Honored Contributor

Re: 2018 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

The definition of rock and roll has morphed over time.  I think it's just basically popular music.

This is a pretty vague statement for criteria.

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

Also, the board is made up of business people, not music professionals.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Jon said he had it out with the board over their induction.  There is a new board now, so it will be interesting to see if Jon gets in this time.

I mean, if Hall & Oats can get in, Bon Jovi has to get in. 

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

The definition of rock and roll has morphed over time.  I think it's just basically popular music.

This is a pretty vague statement for criteria.

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

Also, the board is made up of business people, not music professionals.

@VaBelle35  The nominating committee is made up of musicians and music execs along with other managers and journalists.  There are quite a few jounalists from Rolling Stone magazine.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3  Thanks.

Ballots are then sent to more than 900 historians, members of the music industry and artists—including every living Rock Hall inductee—and the five performers receiving the most votes become that year's induction class.

Beginning in 2012, fans were given the chance to vote for the nominees they'd like to see inducted into the Rock Hall. The top five vote-getters in the public poll form one ballot, which is weighted the same as the rest of the submitted ballots.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I was getting an error when I tried to vote teh first day, but then I got an email 2 days later saying thanks for voting, so I guess my vote went through.

#bonjoviforever

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@Cakers3  Thanks.

Ballots are then sent to more than 900 historians, members of the music industry and artists—including every living Rock Hall inductee—and the five performers receiving the most votes become that year's induction class.

Beginning in 2012, fans were given the chance to vote for the nominees they'd like to see inducted into the Rock Hall. The top five vote-getters in the public poll form one ballot, which is weighted the same as the rest of the submitted ballots.

@VaBelle35  Hi again.  The nominating committee consists of approx. 30 members and those do include musicians and music execs.

Then the ballots are sent out to the historians, members of the music industry, etc.

The Board of Directors/Trustees are different; they oversee the functions of the HOF; the museum and other projecs such as music education and outreach.

The newest chairman is the CEO of Sherwin-Williams. 

It's also great that fans get a chance to vote but since the choice is only tallied as one ballot it still won't guarantee that one's choices will make the grade.  If every vote counted as a single vote then an artist could be pushed over the mark and get in.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

here are my five choices.....

the cars

dire straits

judas priest

moody blues

rufus/chaka khan

now i am going to try to vote.......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have been voting each day. I wish I could cast all five of my votes for the Moodies, the way you can vote on DWTS.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Here are the 2018 nominees:

The nominees for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2018 are:

• Bon Jovi
  • The Cars
  • Depeche Mode
  • Dire Straits
  • Eurythmics
  • J. Geils Band
  • Judas Priest
  • Kate Bush
  • Link Wray
  • LL Cool J
  • MC5
  • The Meters
  • Moody Blues
  • Nina Simone
  • Radiohead
  • Rage Against The Machine
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
  • Sister Rosetta Tharpe
  • The Zombies

Top choices:

The Moody Blues

Link Wray

Eurythmics

Kate Bush

Dire Straits

The Cars

The Zombies

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee  If the Moodies are your top choice, please do vote every day!