Honored Contributor

I found a link that lists the Minimum Wage by state, as well as any upcoming future scheduled increases.

Any surprises ? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/state-minimum-wage-chart.aspx

Honored Contributor

Re: 2015 MINIMUM WAGE BY STATE

That could be one reason why folks living in Wisconsin are traveling across state lines for employment opportunities in neighboring states.

Respected Contributor

The states that list None do they not have a minimum wage?

Respected Contributor

They can move here all they want. They won't be able to afford it, but they can move here and then the great state of Washington will support them.

Honored Contributor

Holy cow. A couple of states are only at $5.15.

Esteemed Contributor

I congratulate the states that went on their own and raised the minimum wage! (Mine is not one of them yet, perhaps it will be soon as we replaced our Governor).

I think servers should be making way more than 2 something an hour. Its PATHETIC what they still earn since the what? 1960s?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

A lower wage in a lower cost state will buy you the same standard of living as those in a higher cost/higher minimum wage state, so in some cases it's a wash. In fact, wages often vary by region according to the local cost of living.

Super Contributor

On 1/6/2015 Ms X said:

A lower wage in a lower cost state will buy you the same standard of living as those in a higher cost/higher minimum wage state, so in some cases it's a wash. In fact, wages often vary by region according to the local cost of living.

I agree mostly with this - the lower the cost of living will parallel the minimum wage.

However, the number of those living below poverty level might factor in a negative way, regardless of COL and regardless of the state. jmo

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/6/2015 Shorty2U said:

I congratulate the states that went on their own and raised the minimum wage! (Mine is not one of them yet, perhaps it will be soon as we replaced our Governor).

I think servers should be making way more than 2 something an hour. Its PATHETIC what they still earn since the what? 1960s?

I was a server and bartender throughout much of the 90's to supplement my income. I never came home with less than $12 an hour.

My daughter was a server while in school from 2008-2012 and she was closer to $16-$17 and hour, and more when she got into a nicer restaurant. I don't know any server who makes less than $10/hr.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Min.wage jobs have become permanent jobs and so they need to reflect that but they don't. 8.38 in NJ still is not enough to live on with the cost of everything.