Honored Contributor

2 patients with macular degeneration had vision restored with stem cells

It has remained the same way for 1 year. This is such good news

https://gizmodo.com/uk-doctors-used-stem-cells-to-restore-eyesight-in-two-p-1823924045

Valued Contributor

Re: 2 patients with macular degeneration had vision restored with stem cells

It really is! I have been following this. I was diagnosed with early on-set at 38.  Had genetic testing when I was 39.  I have more genes for all the bad kinds of macula degeneration than the lab had ever seen in one person. They asked for another DNA sample for further testing.  

With current treatments I will be blind by the time I am 60.  And while that s u c k s (and s u c k s alot) I hope the additional testing the lab asked to do might help my son...if he ever needs help for MD.

Honored Contributor

Don't give up @DrakesMomma  it might also help you

Valued Contributor

I'm not but I don't want to have expectations that treatment will save my sight.  Our government is slow in approving new treatments.  

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

It has remained the same way for 1 year. This is such good news

https://gizmodo.com/uk-doctors-used-stem-cells-to-restore-eyesight-in-two-p-1823924045

This is wonderful news @cherry, about ten years ago in my mid 40's I was diagnosed with macular degeneration in my left eye. I've had several treatments including laser and "the needle". I've been told that my eyesight will never get better. Woman Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

This was done in the UK @DrakesMomma ,so I have high hopes it will be available here soon..I am wishing you all the best, in your fight with this disease

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple  I believe in miracles, and this might be a man made one, but still a miracle, for those that have  eyesight, that is in danger

My Dad had macular degeneration, they say it's not hereditary, but seeing what happened to him ,makes me so conscious of what a gift vision is. I feel this is a good sign for everyone alive  today

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry- It CAN be hereditary. Please make sure during your eye exam that the doc looks at your overall eye health.  

Valued Contributor

@JaneMarple- sending good healthy eye thoughts for you. Heart 

Honored Contributor

@DrakesMomma  thank you , I go to an opthomologist  every year ,because, I am diabetic, and so far at 71, my eyes are fine