Super Contributor

Re: 2 lbs of cherries for $38.72???!!!

@SHIRAZ wrote:

Look closely at the graphic.  S&H included has been the standard on food items for a couple of years now, but on these cherries they are saying special S&H rates expire July 14th at 10:59pm (doesn't even go to midnight!!!)

Screen Shot 2015-07-13 at 8.04.20 AM.png

That's really odd.  Wonder if they're doing away with S&H being included with the food items.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I don't mind paying more money for great fruits and veggies but almost $20 a pound is ridiculous.

The most I have paid for cherries is 10.99lb and that was for organic Rainer cherries. They were honestly the most delicious cherries I have ever had buT I thought that was a little pricey. I think that was at Fresh Market but Whole Foods is pricy too.

Our CSA has excellent cherries too.

I have been gifted Harry and David fruit many times because all of our friends know I am a fruit freak and their quality has never been close to what I get at my FreshMarket or my CSA. NEVER. As a matter of fact I find their fruit not as good as my Food Lions organic fruits.

Hi Irish.

I agree about Harry and David's.  The fruit is not what it used to be. One winter they had cherries at Costco for 14.99, but it was a 2 lb carton. I bought them for my Mom for Christmas.  other than that they are pretty cheap here.  At the beginning of the season when they are scarce, they are 6.99@lb.

Whole Foods produce is not all that good, because most of it is impoeted or green house grown.  Trader Joe's has better fruit IMO. Can i ask what  Food Lion and CSA are, or stand for?  Thanks!

I bet that sweet Grandson loves his fruit as well!  One of my granddaughters  loved fruit.  It would have been all she had eaten, if we had let her!!  She is till that way.  When she comes to visit I have to load up on melons, berries, mango and kiwi

Honored Contributor

@NickNack1: IMO, it would be a big mistake for them to start adding on S&H charges to food items. When they used to do that several years ago, it went over like a lead balloon, so they changed that policy.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

they are only $2.99 lb here.......................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

Maybe they are magic cherries--you eat them and your dreams come true

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

Maybe they are magic cherries--you eat them and your dreams come true

Only if you eat the pit, too!

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I don't mind paying more money for great fruits and veggies but almost $20 a pound is ridiculous.

The most I have paid for cherries is 10.99lb and that was for organic Rainer cherries. They were honestly the most delicious cherries I have ever had buT I thought that was a little pricey. I think that was at Fresh Market but Whole Foods is pricy too.

Our CSA has excellent cherries too.

I have been gifted Harry and David fruit many times because all of our friends know I am a fruit freak and their quality has never been close to what I get at my FreshMarket or my CSA. NEVER. As a matter of fact I find their fruit not as good as my Food Lions organic fruits.

Hi Irish.

I agree about Harry and David's.  The fruit is not what it used to be. One winter they had cherries at Costco for 14.99, but it was a 2 lb carton. I bought them for my Mom for Christmas.  other than that they are pretty cheap here.  At the beginning of the season when they are scarce, they are 6.99@lb.

Whole Foods produce is not all that good, because most of it is impoeted or green house grown.  Trader Joe's has better fruit IMO. Can i ask what  Food Lion and CSA are, or stand for?  Thanks!

I bet that sweet Grandson loves his fruit as well!  One of my granddaughters  loved fruit.  It would have been all she had eaten, if we had let her!!  She is till that way.  When she comes to visit I have to load up on melons, berries, mango and kiwi

Shoekitty, I am sorry I am just getting back to you now, but I just was looking over old post I did and found this. It was sure easier to keep track of old posts on the old board.

Food Lion is a grocery store in my area. I would say it is one of the cheaper ones with fruit and veggies that is probably the worst out of the stores I have to choose from which would be Harris Teeter, Lowes Food, Whole Foods and Fresh Market. They definitely have less expensive fruits and veggies but the quality is hit or miss too. More miss than hit. lol! CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. This explains it a little better. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community-supported_agriculture

We really love it our CSA and have developed a really great relationship with most of the farmers. They are great people. Hope all is well with you. Yes! My grandson LOVES fruit. We just shared a mango the other day and he was crazy about it.When we were done eating it, he just stood there and said more GG, more. I sliced up another one! I haven't found a fruit yet that he doesn't like! He could go through a pint of raspberries, blueberries and blackberries every single day. I always have tons fo fruit around my house becuase my husband and I love it but he is even crazier about it than my daughter was and she was a fruit lover too.. Kumquats are his new favorite!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I spent over $8 for like a little over 2 lbs. at Walmart and I thought that was horrendous!  They had some at Aldi's and they were a lot cheaper but they didn't look very good.

That is atrocious!  I would say for that price - they should come to your house and pick off each stem, pitt each one and hand feed you each one!!! Cat Wink

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I spent over $8 for like a little over 2 lbs. at Walmart and I thought that was horrendous!  They had some at Aldi's and they were a lot cheaper but they didn't look very good.

That is atrocious!  I would say for that price - they should come to your house and pick off each stem, pitt each one and hand feed you each one!!! Cat Wink

Wow, $8 for 2 pounds is a good price! If I have the choice I always get the Rainer cherries. They are just a much better flavor and they are plumper than the standard cherries. The cheapest I have found those are probably $6.50 a pound but they usually run me $8/lb. The cheapest I have found the regular ones is about $5/lb so you got a pretty good deal. Blame the birds, they love to eat cherries and often 1/4-1/2 of the cherry crop is goobled up by the birds and that adds to the price.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

what about the peaches?