Trusted Contributor

2 boys suffer 2nd degree sunburn at day care

I saw this on the news yesterday and thought it was fake. The 2 boys from Oklahoma were at a splash park with day care. It was 110 degrees outside and the day care ran out of sunblock. The poor little boys had to be hospitalized with 2nd degree burns.

Do not click on the link if your are squeamish. Some of the blisters are huge.

I honestly never have seen sunburn so bad...one day out in the sun. Poor little guys were in such pain. They need to remove the day care license permanently.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/28/health/boys-sunburn-daycare-irpt/

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 2 boys suffer 2nd degree sunburn at day care

I am probably too protective...but I would not have let my child go to the waterpark in 110 degree heat in the first place. Some people get sunburned in 75 drgree sun if they are light skinned no matter what SPF they put on.

Some of those kids are going to have scars from those blisters....POOR JUDGEMENT all around IMO.

Trusted Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I am probably too protective...but I would not have let my child go to the waterpark in 110 degree heat in the first place. Some people get sunburned in 75 drgree sun if they are light skinned no matter what SPF they put on.

Some of those kids are going to have scars from those blisters....POOR JUDGEMENT all around IMO.

IITA! At 110 degrees you play inside.  No one should be out in 110 degree weather.

Valued Contributor

I saw this yesterday and am just so sorry for those poor babies.  The burns they suffered are horrendous and painful. This could have been even worse.  People die from heatstroke.  Adults are supposed to know better! Those responsible for them while they were at the waterpark should be charged with something and be prohibited from working with children or in any type of facility that provides care for others. No empathy, no common sense, just criminal.

Esteemed Contributor

How horrible- This says the day care is closed permanently. What do you wanna bet they had no insurance coverage for this?

(CNN)Two Oklahoma boys are in the hospital recuperating from burns after their mother said their day care took them to a splash park and let them play with no sunscreen. As of Tuesday, the day care was permanently closed, and the state health department was investigating the facility.

Shaunna Broadway dropped Connor, 7, and Trae, 5, off at 9 a.m. at Happiness is a Learning Center on Friday. When she picked them up, they were crying in pain, she said. They had spent the day at a water park and day care staff apparently told Shaunna that they did not have sunscreen and the boys refused to keep their shirts on.

Photos of the burns were shared on Facebook by the children's aunt, Amanda Harvey, who gave repeated updates on the boys' conditions.

The boys' grandfather told CNN Tuesday that the children were still at the hospital and had the burned skin removed from their backs. Connor will remain in a wrap for 72 hours to treat his burns, which reached levels of the third degree, said doctors. Each child suffered from second degree burns, he said.

Wayne said the boys asked their single mother to stay home from work so that they don't have to return to the day care. But they needn't worry. According to the Oklahoma Department of Human Services, the owner agreed on Monday to cease care permanently.

No one answered the phone at The Happiness is a Learning Center, and the center did not return CNN's phone call.

A GoFundMe page has been created to alleviate the cost of the hospital bills and Shaunna's time off of work.

Shaunna told Buzzfeed that staff members at the day care were laughing at her older child for crying about the pain when she picked them up on Friday. At the advice of a pharmacist, she repeatedly applied aloe lotion to their skin, but by Saturday morning, they were in so much pain that they refused to be touched. She took them to a local emergency room.

By Sunday morning, the two brothers were being transported to Shriners Hospital for Children in Galveston with boils on their shoulders and backs and Connor complaining of chest pain.

The day care service has been visited in the past by the department for a list of non-compliance violations. These violations include expired fire extinguishers, incorrectly placed and updated food menu, and "no one on staff with a current director's credential."

A summary of facility monitoring can be viewed on the Department of Health's website.

When suffering from a second degree burn, a person's outer and underlying layers of the skin's tissue are destroyed. Second degree burns may take up to four weeks to heal and can cause scarring. Third degree burns are worse, requiring the skin to be replaced in order to treat.

"It's just devastating. These boys, my world pretty much revolves around them," the boys' grandfather said. "I've always been grandpa but I've always filled in the dad post too so we're really close and it just breaks my heart because grandpa couldn't fix this."

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

betteb...thanks for posting article.  

When I was young,we used to burn our newspaper trash in the backyard. It seems so strange to think about it today. But everyone did it... they had these wire baskets to contain the burning trash. 

My brother got 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his body everywhere his skin was exposed (arms ,legs & face), when an aerosol can (put in the trash accidently) exploded.  He had to be hospitalized for a several days. I remember him peeling off layers of dead skin and applying this thick salve in order to keep him from infection and scarring.  These poor boys will be in pain and recovery will take some time, before they are healed.

It is hard to fatham day care employees laughing at their pain.  I hope they heal quickly and the pain subsides. I am glad the day care is closed permanently.

Valued Contributor

What is wrong with people?  The article said the boys refused to keep their shirts on? Well, as the adult in charge, they should have refused to allow them be in the sun!!! 😡

I just can't understand the decision making of people who are entrusted with the care of small children.  Especially on a day when it's 110 outside and sunscreen was not immediately available.  This isn't rocket science!

Esteemed Contributor

The daycare workers should have asked one of the lifeguards for sunscreen. Anyone at the water park would have shared their sunscreen if they had asked.  If the boys refused to keep their shirts on, they should have had to sit in the shade and not participate.  They must have been in the sun all day.

Honored Contributor

I am curious as to why this only happened to one parent's two sons and none of the other kids. Doesn't that seem odd to anyone else?

Esteemed Contributor

Did they this field trip planned in advance? You would think they would have had a first aid bag with extra sunscreen in it. I would think they should have postponed this trip - way too hot to be out. And, yes, the boys should have been made to keep their shirts on or sit in the shade with an adult. What a shame and it could have been prevented.