Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: 2 boys suffer 2nd degree sunburn at day care

The parents should have provided sunscreen for their kids.

The adults in charge should have made sure that the children were at least having sunscreen applied every hour.

110 is very hot to be outdoors.  They probably didn't feel the heat because of the water. 

I can't imagine how much pain those boys were in.

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

You can also get a sunburn through a shirt.  Those poor kids had to be airlifted to a hospital, I think GMA reported in Texas.

It seems the daycare women had no sense, if a little kid like that refused to put on his shirt, you insist.  Threaten them with benching.

Personally, I would never have taken a child out in that heat, it's asking for trouble.

So agree!  Since when do adults let children run the field trips and whatever happened to weather permitting?  I f I ever walked more than a few feet away from the group, I was talked to and told my day would end right then and there if I didn't listen.  And if there was any hint of weather issues, we didn't go.   

I'm no lawyer but I would personally take the individuals themselves to civil court for all the emotional distress money I could get for my kids.  I am not a parent but I can't even imagine what this poor woman is going through.  I think she should have prepared her kids on her own but I watched my mom as a single working parent and it's not easy to juggle that.  I think the consequence of having both your kids end up in a burn unit one state over is way too high a price to ever experience or pay.     

Frequent Contributor

I had this happen in the late 1960s at a 3-day camp.  You don't have to be outside all day for it to happen; we had swim time from 10-12 noon and again from 2-4, and at that time nobody wore sunscreen!

Being a pre-teen, I didn't tell anybody how badly my back was hurting and when I got home my parents took me to the doctor where I was diagnosed with 2nd degree burns.

It was horrible pain and I can't imagine those very young children having to go through it !

Respected Contributor

These poor boys.  The mother knew these boys were going to a water park.  She needed to apply sunscreen at home.  She needed to tell these boys to keep their shirts on.  She needed to show the 7 year old how to apply sun screen to his brother and to himself. She needed to send a bottle of sun screen with the boys and ask the day care workers to make sure someone would see to it that it was re-applied properly.

Honored Contributor

The daycare was closed today.

Hope it's permanent.

Trusted Contributor

You can get badly sunburned if you are out in the sun for prolonged periods regardless of the temperature.  I wouldn't worry about "sunstroke" in a waterpark, as the water should keep people playing in the pool from overheating.

However, if the daycare didn't appropriately protect kids with sunscreen, they should be liable for negligence.  They also should have kept them hydrated with fluids.  Hope the kids recover OK -- and hope the daycare is ready for the coming lawsuit!

Honored Contributor

I'm not one to send my 7yr old (and under) kids on daycare field trips.  I can do that myself. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

No field trips allowed for day care providers.  Mainly, because of their driving skills, etc.  Let the parents take their kids to a park.  Maybe with a small group of neighbors and their parents.  And forget hot days.  Even adults are in danger in the hot sun.  Lots of local warnings for young children and seniors in very hot weather.  Stay indoors!!   People seem incapable of thinking straight now-a-days.  So sorry.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Another lack of common sense and small children suffer. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

Poor little fellas, I think it was the parents responcibility to slather the kids down with sunblock and pack it along for the trip.,and keep a tee shirt on too. That happened to me when I was 10, spent the day at Padre island texas,ended up with third degree burns and had to go to the Hospital. I guess back in the old days people didn't know any better. BTW, i would never let me kids go on afield trip at that age without mama!