Esteemed Contributor

Re: 2 boys suffer 2nd degree sunburn at day care

Yet another story of adults with no common sense.

Whenever my children were outside in a school or camp, we were always told to send sunscreen with our children. I am SURE that some of the other children had sunscreen in their bags. This story just doesn't make any sense to me.

Honored Contributor

Honestly, some people have SFB (s... for brains).  You don't go on a field trip unless you have supplies, plain and simple.  As a fair skinned ginger, when I was little, my Ma would take us to the lake on vacation and I wore my one piece sailor suit bathing suit and one of my short sleeved undershirts over it.  Seriously, I can't find any pics in a bathing suit where I wasn't wearing a cotton undershirt over it to protect my skin.  I also had a hat on.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Honestly, some people have SFB (s... for brains).  You don't go on a field trip unless you have supplies, plain and simple.  As a fair skinned ginger, when I was little, my Ma would take us to the lake on vacation and I wore my one piece sailor suit bathing suit and one of my short sleeved undershirts over it.  Seriously, I can't find any pics in a bathing suit where I wasn't wearing a cotton undershirt over it to protect my skin.  I also had a hat on.

😂😂😂

so true!!!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Was it one of those home daycares?  I can't imagine that something like that would happen in professional daycare.  No one in their right mind would take kids of any age to a water park in 110 degree temps.  I wouldn't go myself!  I remember when my girls were in daycare and later when they were in day camps, the kids were always required to bring their own sunscreen.  No sunscreen, no day trip.  I remember that well because one of my girls once missed out on a trip to the beach with her group because she didn't have her sunscreen in her bag.    She wasn't allowed to borrow anyone else's, not even her sister's.  Much to her chagrin, she had to stay behind and help out with the younger kids.   

Honored Contributor

It appears to be a professional daycare.  They have been cited 19 times in the past.  Sounds like the shutdown was long overdue.  When I was a kid in the early 50's, there wasn't such a thing as sunscreen.  We burned and blistered regularly while staying at the grandparents house on the lake.  They say that makes you a higher risk for melanoma, so I keep checking myself.  And I stay as pale as a turnip with sunscreen. 

Honored Contributor

depglass, I almost wrote about putting the little ones at higher risk of skin cancer because of this but I didn't want to look like a drama mama.  Thanks for writing what I was thinking.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I am curious as to why this only happened to one parent's two sons and none of the other kids. Doesn't that seem odd to anyone else?

No. The article states that two boys refused to leave their shirts on. From what I recall of working at summer camps, day cares, and pre-schools for many years, it's common that one sibling will follow whatever the other does.

When I worked in any of those places, the kids (parents) were responsible for bringing their own sunscreen. On days where it was too hot, we didn't go out in the sun if we could avoid it, made sure anyone going out had sunscreen if we did go out, made sure everyone had plenty of water to drink, and sometimes passed out popsicles. No sunscreen or signs of a burn and you got benched in the shade or indoors.

Respected Contributor

omgoodess....first thing is that if you are near water,  apply sunscreen all the time! The water is  a natural reflective materal and one of the worst burns I had was from when I was in the ocean and my shoulder just burned and bubbled.  I still have a scar there today.

Just really stupid of these workers not to know that water, even if the sun is not brightly shining, would cause some major burns.  Just like if you are out playing in the snow as well - the light just reflects back and you will get burned badly

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Trusted Contributor

This is so sad. I read that they said they had run out of sunscreen for the boys. 

Honored Contributor

You can also get a sunburn through a shirt.  Those poor kids had to be airlifted to a hospital, I think GMA reported in Texas.

It seems the daycare women had no sense, if a little kid like that refused to put on his shirt, you insist.  Threaten them with benching.

Personally, I would never have taken a child out in that heat, it's asking for trouble.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices