Honored Contributor

Re: 2 American Teens Allegedly Kill Police Officer In Rome

If they are given a lifetime of hard labor...that is a long time since they are so young, I am guessing they won’t live to be old men in that environment. Will be interesting to see if the wealthy parents have attempted to make the charges go away. If the murder was not of a cop, they probably could. Really stupid....foreign country...buying drugs...stabbing a cop to death? Who walks away from that? No one.
Honored Contributor

They confessed so there's it's not "allegedly".  They did it.  They also found the knife and their clothes where they hid them in their hotel room.  The worst of the worst; they took their illicit drug use and propensity for violence on vacation with them and that young police officer paid the price.  It's been all over the news for days.  If there is any justice, they will rot in prison.  

Honored Contributor

Why do people think a blindfold is appalling?  Beating them half to death or shooting them would be appalling.  A blindfold is no different than hand cuffing them.  

Honored Contributor

Italy can do anything to them,as far as i am concerned.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Why do people think a blindfold is appalling?  Beating them half to death or shooting them would be appalling.  A blindfold is no different than hand cuffing them.  

@chrystaltree, it's a form of terrorizing a suspect and illegal in Italy; I would bet that it is not done here either.

What actually would be the point besides frightening and disorienting a suspect?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

They killed a man, and being  concerned about a blind fold,makes no sense.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I'm not appalled the (alleged) murderer was blindfolded.  So what?  The person murdered will never see again.  Hopefully if found guilty for their crimes they will both rot in jail the rest of their long lives.

Oh, make no mistake, I am not appalled either.  ICAM so what.  I just wonder what the reasoning was.  I can see a spit mask for spitting, but I've never seen blindfolding.  No doubt it was for some form of acting out on the "alleged" killer's part; perhaps a way of subduing him. 

Honored Contributor

It's illegal to blinfold a suspect in Italy, regardless of opinions about it paling in comparison to the alleged crime.

Whether anyone here believes it or not, an accusation is just that until a person has his day in court. And even if convicted, civilized countries don't treat convicted criminals in the same way that the criminal may have treated his victim.

If that's the kind of "justice" someone wants, there are several countries that do provide it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

He went on to confirm that such interrogation methods are strictly “illegal” and “not allowed” within the Italian police force.

Despite the officer’s “mistake,” Garago said it was done in an effort to prevent the teens suspect from seeing sensitive documents from the probe into Rega’s death.

Not how the words illegal and not allowed are in quotes in this article, Hmmmm....

I'd like to see the actual law on the books that says verbatim "no prisoner shall be blindfolded during interrogation". That is not the same as saying no prisoner s.b terrorized. 

Who cares if they couldn't see for a few minutes. They weren't held in a chokehold or restraint of any kind, they had a piece of cloth over the eyes, I couldn't care less. If Mario Rega were my relative I'd be applauding the police for holding back on doing  a beat down on a cop. 

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

It's illegal to blinfold a suspect in Italy, regardless of opinions about it paling in comparison to the alleged crime.

Whether anyone here believes it or not, an accusation is just that until a person has his day in court. And even if convicted, civilized countries don't treat convicted criminals in the same way that the criminal may have treated his victim.

If that's the kind of "justice" someone wants, there are several countries that do provide it.

We get it. You want criminals to be coddled and have days at the spa, get massages, manis and pedis, be given silk robes and pajamas, 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.