Honored Contributor

Re: 1st Time I've Seen My Cell Phone In 6 Weeks.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Yes, I always carry my cell phone/drivers license and Conceal Carry Permit, all in my bag inside my cars. However! While I always make sure it is charged, I cannot tell you the last time I actually used it. It is for emergencies and so far all of my 911 calls were made from my home phone.

I figure for about $6 a month having this smart phone is a good choice for me. 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Can,t believe how we ever managed to live in the 40,50, 60, 70, 80, 90 without all the gadgets people have today.  Simpler

Honored Contributor

I get notification if my school is closed. Weather advisory.   I have set for emergencies from scool.  Had to use several years ago when an earthquake struck.  I was at school at the time.   My husband experienced it at home alone.  The quake knocked out many phones, but I was able to use mine to get in touch with my husband.

Honored Contributor

I'm retired and take my cell phone with me everywhere.  You never know what might happen... an emergency call from your husband, car accident, flat tire, someone harassing you, or worse.  The world is not necessarily a safe place these day.  I charge it every night.

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

Can,t believe how we ever managed to live in the 40,50, 60, 70, 80, 90 without all the gadgets people have today.  Simpler

@qvcaddition  Things evolve as time goes on. How did we live without running water, without motor vehicles, without refrigeration, etc.etc.etc. The way we live has changed since the beginning of time. Frankly, I like it that way and believe it’s the way the one upstairs intended.

Trusted Contributor

If for safety alone that you may never need, I could not see leaving the house without a cell phone regardless of the time of day.  There are no Pay Phones anymore and if you were in trouble, its hard to trust anyone to comes up to you.  

If the phone does not work in your home another provider would probably be something to think about.  I have T-Mobile for work and my work cell phone hardly works in my home.  We tried Verizon - again wouldn't work in our home.  Have to stick with ATT its the only thing that works in our home.

You sound like my MIL.  My kids get mad at her since her cell phone is always at the bottom of her purse and dead.  Its doing her no good there especially if she is out somewhere.  She had put herself in situations which aren't safe at all (for example giving a stranger a  ride).  She doesn't drive at night and this wasn't the first time she was approached by someone in the middle of the afternoon.  

If you have grandchildren or younger relatives, sadly you will likelky not be able to reach out to them unless you are able to text.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I don’t take mine anywhere.I did take it on vacation last year to Canada and forgot to bring it home.I will pick it up this summer when we visit again.I haven’t missed it a bit.

Honored Contributor

I use my cell phone multiple times per day, but seldom as a phone.  It's always charged and with me when I'm out.  At home, it's always nearby.

Esteemed Contributor

@mimomof4  No grandchildren and younger relatives (in their 40's) call me on my landline.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

@qvcaddition  Things evolve as time goes on. How did we live without running water, without motor vehicles, without refrigeration, etc.etc.etc. The way we live has changed since the beginning of time. Frankly, I like it that way and believe it’s the way the one upstairs intended.

There are a lot of things going on today that the one upstairs didn,t intend.  I don,t think religion has anything to do with electrons. 

I realize times change.  I mean like was no as stressful and people had more time and less stress.  Whatever,  we will not agree on what all the electrons have done for society, lack of family togethness.

We had no refrigerator, but we had water, no showers, only a bathtubs.  A lot of simple things, but we had fun.  Sure time improves our life, but if you didn,t have it, you didn,t know what you were missing.  Kids sat at the table at dinner and we talked to one another about our day. Family togetherness.  

Enjoy your life.