Esteemed Contributor

Re: 1M Honeybees Die in UPS Truck

For those concerned for the bee population, you need to stop eliminating dandelions and other flowering "weeds" from your lawns.  Bees need these flowers for food to survive.....you can keep your lawns pristine or keep bees alive.  Something to consider.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

I love bees. Especially bumblebees with their fat lil fuzzy bodies!!

I actually saved a bumble bee that was on the pavement when I was walking

last week .... I don't know if he was injured but I just couldn't leave him there

to get run over ... or burn up in the sun ....gingerly of course .. found something

to pick him up with and got him on the lawn .....

Occasional Contributor

Sounds like they are covering their tracks to clear themselves of any wrong doing.
Honored Contributor

The gov Dept of whatever should make a law that living things should be boldly marked Warning: 'Living things' enclosed........Deliver promptly'.

Maybe have a time limit in bold writing.  

Seems cruel, and we need bees no matter what. 

It takes a gov. to make and enforce laws when it comes to helpless living things. 

Can't depend on private entities.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I really wish this hadn't just been put in the thread title to see. Smiley Sad   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I doubt UPS has enough bee shipments to have special precautions for it.  And bees are shipped.

It is an accident, it is sad, but people can't always be held responsible for dealing with things outside their expectations and experience. 

Could you?  

I have to disagree. Shipping is what UPS does. If they don't know how to properly ship bees then they should have found out when they took the gig, and under no circumstances was it all right to just do nothing. No excuse for this. As far as it goes, UPS has always been my 'go to' favorite shipping provider, but lately, they seem to be screwing up even more than Fedex, which I personally find almost unbelievable. Meanwhile, someone seems to have lit a fire under Fedex. I hope it stays lit. To me, this goes way beyond being merely sad.

This is not directed at an individual.  It is a culmination of some situations I am currently dealing with.  

Well, I'll have to disagree here.  If you raise animals, it is your job to see that they are correctly shipped and safely shipped.

Cattle, horses, goats, pigs, chickens, bees, etc.  It is the shippers job to see that they are safely shipped.  I do know bees and chickens are mailed as well as UPS.

You can't guarantee your shipment will be properly handled.  Stuff happens.  You do the best you can.  What is with pilloring people because they made a mistake, or because an accident happened?

People now act like they and they alone are perfect.  Blame someone, find someone to blame and everything will be worked out.  A la Harry. . . It's not a perfect world. That's a huge part of the problem.  It's easier to hate on others than to admit it isn't all puppies and rainbows and work together to fix problems and issues. . 

And yes I'm angry and have had a bad last few weeks.  And if people would stop pointing fingers and spend more time getting something productive rather than pointing fingers and "did so" "did not" this old world might just accomplish something.  Blame and indignation has become a hobby.

@Sooner , and it's easier for people to just let stuff go rather than hold someone accountable for their actions.  "Oh well, it happens.  Too bad, so sad."

Nope. Not acceptable at all.  People provide services of all different kinds.  If I take my car to a mechanic to fix my brakes and he tells me he can handle the job, I expect that he can handle the job.  If I get in my car and pull out and end up in an accident because my brakes fail, I'm holding him responsible.  I don't want to hear him tell me that he shouldn't have taken on the job because it was the first time he was ever doing brakes.   And then try to blame me because I should have known he didn't know how to do brakes even though he told me he did.

UPS acceptable a shipment, they hold themselves out to be shippers and said they could handle the job.  Well they couldn't and now they need to be held responsible.  Don't tell people you can do something if you can't. 

I also don't understand where the idea comes from that people can only be upset about one thing at a time.  I can be upset about bees, drunk drivers, people driving on phones, kids left in hot cars, the rampant shootings, etc.  

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

Where was all this indignation when 4800+ baby chicks died at the hands of USPS, along with other animals entrusted to their care.

At least in this case efforts, no matter how ineffective, were made to save the bees.  No effort was made to save the animals shipped via USPS.

That was equally as sickening.  

Respected Contributor

There simply is no excuse for this loss!

Honored Contributor

I say UPS should be liable.  How sick to leave the bees in a closed truck and who knows how hot it was in the truck.  That is a shame and should not have happened.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

For those concerned for the bee population, you need to stop eliminating dandelions and other flowering "weeds" from your lawns.  Bees need these flowers for food to survive.....you can keep your lawns pristine or keep bees alive.  Something to consider.

Well then bees should have a field day in my lawn as it's far from pristine!  LOL

I agree with a previous poster that I'm terrified of them, but only because I'm deathly allergic to bee stings and it will land me in hospital, so I stay away from them.