Respected Contributor

18,000-yr-old frozen puppy being studied by scientists

[ Edited ]

This is a fascinating story, being covered in various ways by news media all over the world.  The story I read first was written by Hannah Knowles of the Washington Post and  was printed today in the Atlanta newspaper.

Scientists are looking at whether this is some sort of link to wolves evolving into "man's best friend".

The animal's intact body, frozen in permafrost, was discovered in Siberia last year .  Some good photos are available online.

You can find too many links to the subject for me to post  here, so just use some good key words and look at the various stories available--if you're interested.

Super Contributor

Re: 18,000-yr-old frozen puppy being studied by scientists

very interesting. hope they learn alot examining it. 

Respected Contributor

The DNA is neither canine nor wolf, so they are thinking this pup might be a species that links the two. The first few pics show the dog as black, but after clean up, the fur is actually a light tan. The nose and even the whiskers are completely intact. Amazing.
Esteemed Contributor

I was blown away by this story, to include the pictures. Most interesting to me, is the "fact" that the DNA is neither wolf, nor dog. I can't wait for further information to emerge regarding this amazing story.

~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

That is a fascinating story.  Thanks for posting this.  It certainly looks more like a dog than a wolf.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

After cleaned up a bit showing light hair, this one looks exactly like a wolf pup.

Honored Contributor

View image on TwitterScientists are running tests on the body of the canine, which is 18,000 years old.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Am I the only one who feels bad that it died as a pup, even though it died over 18,000 years ago?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm wondering what other things might be hidden in  Siberian  permafrost for  thousands of years.

Some type of well-preserved "cave lions"  reportedly were discovered there a few years ago.