Honored Contributor

Re: 17-car pile up in Clarion, PA

That is horrible. I'm not a fan of driving through PA on I 80. Been stuck in blinding snow a number of times. I don't like to do it, but I follow the tail lights of the vehicle in front of me. Pulling over to the shoulder is not an option.
Honored Contributor

PA was awful today for snow squalls. We were driving in central PA this afternoon and all of a sudden without warning were in the middle of snow squalls. We could not see the cars ahead of us or behind us or the cars coming in the opposite direction with headlights on until they were less than a car length from us. It was scary. We slowed down and turned on our flashers and hoped for the best. It was great to arrive home! We did see evidence of several accidents in about a 40 mile stretch.

Sorry to hear about the accident near Clarion. Prayers being said for those killed and injured.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

I drive rt. 80 every day to work. BUT, when it snows, I use other roads. If someone loses control on the interstate, at those high speeds, there's more of a chance of multiple fatalities. JMHO

-Kalli

Respected Contributor

I saw the pictures on TV tonight. Saying prayers for everyone involved. Can you imagine being in that traffic jam in this cold weather. They said it would be hours before I80 would be open for travel. Will have to watch the 10pm news.

Honored Contributor

On 1/7/2015 SydneyH said:
On 1/7/2015 winamac1 said:

Yes he was training. Thanks Sydney. My friend is sick over it, and she says she thinks his mother is oversees collecting the body. She hasn't been able to reach her.

Terrible, avalanches are still a fairly uncommon event.

I agree. It's terrible. I spoke with my friend. He was training for the US ski team I think. It's just awful.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

In area just north of us had a 40+ car pile up in whiteout conditions yesterday. It was so bad out there, I couldn't tell if I was on the road or not. Scary for sure. They closed school today and they will be closed tomorrow too.

In Northern Michigan, a mini van was dragged 16 miles by a semi truck. Yikes! That must have been terrifying. But they survived.

Super Contributor

While this is very tragic, reading about this accident makes two thing hit home: 1. ALWAYS wear your seatbelt and 2. NEVER leave your vehicle in an accident (especially in whiteout conditions). One of the men killed got out to help his children "who had been ejected from the car" and the other was also struck when he left his truck.

There are common sense safety rules that people who travel in these areas in the winter should know. I would venture a guess that the Dad would be alive today if the kids had been buckled in.

Hopefully, others will learn from this tragedy.

Honored Contributor

OMG prayers for the victims and their families.

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2015 Linders Back said:

While this is very tragic, reading about this accident makes two thing hit home: 1. ALWAYS wear your seatbelt and 2. NEVER leave your vehicle in an accident (especially in whiteout conditions). One of the men killed got out to help his children "who had been ejected from the car" and the other was also struck when he left his truck.

There are common sense safety rules that people who travel in these areas in the winter should know. I would venture a guess that the Dad would be alive today if the kids had been buckled in.

Hopefully, others will learn from this tragedy.

I doubt any parent would not get out to get to his ejected children.

Honored Contributor

In this sort of weather people should only go out if it is absolutely necessary.