Respected Contributor

Re: 14 Year Old Boys & Their Capsized Boat in Ocean

Craziest thing I've ever heard of !  I don't care how experienced they were...14 years old is still mighty young to be venturing out in the 'Atlantic' on your own.  And I hate to pop anyone's bubble, but after 3 days unaccounted for - and the boat found overturned...uh...pretty much a done deal. From what I've heard, the boys didn't do as they were told, which is not to go out further than the inlet.  Oh well, my heart aches for the parents.  Peace be with them all.

Respected Contributor

TOTALLY AGREE !

Honored Contributor

June:  JMO:  Yes, parents should know what their underage kids are up to, where they are going, who they are with, 24/7.  The kids should have a routine, and moms/dads should be able to pinpoint where their kids are at any given time.  Just in case.  Never know what natural or other disaster will occur at any moment.  Years ago, most families had an emergency contact plan.  But, now it's easier.  The kids could/should easily update any change of plans, friends, places in an instant via their phones and whatever other gadget.  It would be very (extremely) embarrassing to me if I didn't know at least the general direction/area my young teens were if and when I would need to tell the police, in an emergency or if they were missing.  Seems so easy, now, to keep track.  But kids should have that responsibility and respect to keep their parents posted and updated.  For their own sake.  And safety. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Growing up I was considered a good child.  That being said, I remember doing things I was told not to do.  For the most part there was no harm but I remember a time when both the police and fire company had to be called. My brother and his friends walked the line more than a few times. My husband has told me stories, like getting stuck in quick sand.

I was a good and present parent but over the years our son and daughter have related stories that should have put me in an early grave.  We teach our children to be careful and to be independent.  No parent could possible know where and what their children are doing all the time.

These poor parents will never recover from what has happened.  They need our empathy not our finger pointing.

Super Contributor

Sorry, I disagree. It is a parent's job to know where your children are and what thay are doing. If those parents had a rule that an adult must accompany them on the boat then the situation would be much different. You don't leave teens unsupervised especially with a boat.

Trusted Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

June:  JMO:  Yes, parents should know what their underage kids are up to, where they are going, who they are with, 24/7.  The kids should have a routine, and moms/dads should be able to pinpoint where their kids are at any given time.  Just in case.  Never know what natural or other disaster will occur at any moment.  Years ago, most families had an emergency contact plan.  But, now it's easier.  The kids could/should easily update any change of plans, friends, places in an instant via their phones and whatever other gadget.  It would be very (extremely) embarrassing to me if I didn't know at least the general direction/area my young teens were if and when I would need to tell the police, in an emergency or if they were missing.  Seems so easy, now, to keep track.  But kids should have that responsibility and respect to keep their parents posted and updated.  For their own sake.  And safety. 

Romary I understand what you are saying....and yes that is how it should be. BUT reality with most families today is disconnect  and everyone is doing their own thing. Parents both working, kids pretty much latch key. And children often do  things without using common sense ( like many adults) and that is where accidents and tragic things happen.

Trusted Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

Sorry, I disagree. It is a parent's job to know where your children are and what thay are doing. If those parents had a rule that an adult must accompany them on the boat then the situation would be much different. You don't leave teens unsupervised especially with a boat.

If only the world were so perfect!

Respected Contributor

For those of you who are or were able to keep track of your teenagers all the time, how do or did you do it?

Honored Contributor

We've been 'boarded' by the Coast Guard and there are many items that are mandatory to have at hand (easily accessed).

A form of communication be it a two way radio or cell phones, horn, (whistle?, too, maybe?), flares, a life ring (that would've helped majorly), proper sized life vests for all on board (usually people have an abundance of them), fire extinguisher, and I'm sure I'm forgetting somethings.

Our sons were both practically 6' and close to 200 lbs by 14 years old, but we would have never let them go it alone even in an inlet or bay, nevermind the ocean.  The inlet we lived by then was an extremely dangerous East Coast inlet and many experienced were killed either coming in or going out over the years.  And the bay was so wide you couldn't see land if you were out in the middle of it.

Nope, we didn't raise Pansies, and I'm sure they pulled a lot of stuff we have no idea about and I thank God they are both alive and I'm not looking for them right now.

A 19 ft. boat is no match for the Atlantic ocean especially during that storm/squall they most likely ran into. 

Wisdom would've made them put on their life jackets, send out a call, send up a flair, grab the life ring (maybe they have it?).

Boaters need to keep a keen eye on the sky, as storms brew quickly, very quickly.

I had no idea that the age was so low for permission to operate a boat, I'm not even sure what it is in states we reside.  They may want to re-visit that, just like they did with driver's licences and even drinking ages.

It would be a miracle if those boys are found alive.   

Super Contributor

My kids were required to ask permission to visit friends etc. I callled to check in with them. If they were not where they said they would be then they were grounded. Several of my son's friends commented that he was lucky that I had rules and cared where he was and who he was with.