Honored Contributor

Re: 14 Year Old Boys & Their Capsized Boat in Ocean

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY wrote:

In general, and not necessarily referring to these parents (and wishing and hoping for the best possible outcome)...........(Sometimes, not always): Nonchalant parents = nonchalant kids.   Two plus two often seems to equal four. 

I don't know if anyone was nonchalant, however whenever my teen asks to do something I consider dangerous, I explain quite clearly why that is and insist he better be where he says he is going to be for the exact reason.  While those children may have been 'experienced' boaters, their reasoning skills clearly were lacking......

Esteemed Contributor

Haven't read anything here...just jumping.  

Who thinks these parents should be charged with neglect, endangerment...something?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

In general, and IMO, many (not all) kids seem very immature (well, I mean naive) now-a-days.  Looking all around me, they are too much into focusing into a 'gadget', not paying attention to their surroundings, their safety.  In other words, I wouldn't permit my young teens to go boating out into the wide-open ocean.  Maybe near/along the shore, supervised by an adult.  Oh, and wearing their safety floating vests at all times, no matter how shallow the water.  After all, there could be a small tidal wave or rip tide (or whatever they're called) at any moment.  It happens.    BTW, someone here told me that one life vest was found.  I don't know how true that is.  Just maybe a whale or large fish capsized their boat, and they didn't have their life vests on?  Weren't able to turn over their boat because they weren't wearing their vests to help them along.  Again, wishing them the best......I'm hoping that another boat came along and rescued them. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

I missing the humor, I wouldn't let my 14 year go camping alone with another 14 year old either........

I doubt any parent would find any humor there. Experience is the best teacher, true as a parent also.  As parents, we can't be everywhere but we all know parents who don't even try to supervise their children. That is a problem.

Respected Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

In general, and not necessarily referring to these parents (and wishing and hoping for the best possible outcome)...........(Sometimes, not always): Nonchalant parents = nonchalant kids.   Two plus two often seems to equal four. 

I don't know if anyone was nonchalant, however whenever my teen asks to do something I consider dangerous, I explain quite clearly why that is and insist he better be where he says he is going to be for the exact reason.  While those children may have been 'experienced' boaters, their reasoning skills clearly were lacking......

That is true but half the time I did it anyway. 

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Whether 14 years old or older, that boat capsized.  If an adult was with the boys it wouldn't make much of a difference.  They would also be missing.  I fear for the worst in that situation and it's all really up to the parents. 

Of course it changes things. The whole  situation could have been avoided with an adult present.

I can't agree.  Some, in fact many parents are okay with taking risks with their lives and others.  Some don't fear much or see danger where some could be.  The responsibility lies with both parents of those boys.  No one could gurarantee that the whole situation could have been avoided, no one. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

As far as camping goes, two young teens shouldn't be left alone, trekking.  Never mind the wild animals (bears, mountain lions, etc.) searching for water and food.  There are folks in the mountains now-a-days who are protecting their territories.  Also other folks just looking for trouble.  At the very least: Better to be in an organized group, with experienced hiking adults in charge.  And, even then.............. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

In general.......I'm so glad that both of my parents were always 'drumming' into my mind to 'be careful', look around, drive slowly, even when late.  In other words, never rush anywhere, no matter how late I happen to be.   (Funny how that has always remained in my mind: to slow down when late.  Never speed up.  Thanks, mom and dad.) 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Whether 14 years old or older, that boat capsized.  If an adult was with the boys it wouldn't make much of a difference.  They would also be missing.  I fear for the worst in that situation and it's all really up to the parents. 

Of course it changes things. The whole  situation could have been avoided with an adult present.

I can't agree.  Some, in fact many parents are okay with taking risks with their lives and others.  Some don't fear much or see danger where some could be.  The responsibility lies with both parents of those boys.  No one could gurarantee that the whole situation could have been avoided, no one. 

I have to disagree. The responsibility lies within the parents imo.  These parents will have to live with this decision for life. A boat in the ocean with two 14 year olds at the helm, is beyond belief.

Respected Contributor

How many kids ride ATV's alone, play football, kids get concussions and play again once they are healed with their parents consent. There are dangers in everything. While I think they shouldn't have taken the boat, they're kids, they do that. Lots of things in our comfort zones are dangerous. Some just have bad endings.