Respected Contributor

Re: 14 Year Old Boys & Their Capsized Boat in Ocean

[ Edited ]

colliegirls, I agree for the most part, however, while I tried hard to monitor my sons' activities, as time has gone on and I've listened to them telling me stories of things they did as teenagers, I realize they did stuff I never knew about.  

As parents we try so hard to discuss safety with our children but it only takes one bad decision on the part of a teen to put himself(herself) in a life-threatening situation.  Most of us have made these mistakes and survived, but we all know some don't survive their mistakes.  The news is full of those kinds of stories.  The odds are in our favor but.....

Respected Contributor

They did not have their parents' permission, from what I have heard.  This is a local story on my news.  They are probably lost forever as so much time has passed.  I hope I am wrong about that, but ...

My younger brothers often took our small motorboat out to sea much farther than they should have.  I was with them once when they did this, and we had bad weather but good luck--better luck than we really deserved. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I first heard this story, I couldn't believe no adults were with them. What were they thinking? This boat was large and in the ocean. (not a little lake)..So the boys were allowed to go in an inlet only? Do you think teens would stay only there? They are teens, and will test the limits. Now I read below 14 years old are legally allowed to operate a boat? I read they can operate it, but can they be alone with no adult present?  Bad judgement, all around.

This doesn't look like a good out come.

Respected Contributor

You people do crack me up....lol   Wanna bet that if the story was that two 14 year olds who went camping overnight and got lost.  No one would be bellowing that no 14 year old should ever be allowed in the woods....lol   And they wouldn't be blaming the parents....lol 

Esteemed Contributor

My kids were raised around water and had swimming lessons since they were little. They took lessons right through lifeguard session. They know what to do if you fall in the water with clothes on, etc and how to save someone. Lessons were not an option in our house. They became lifeguards and had summer jobs right through college. In fact, one daughter taught private swim lessons for a summer. Kids really should not be in a boat on the open water without an adult

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

You people do crack me up....lol   Wanna bet that if the story was that two 14 year olds who went camping overnight and got lost.  No one would be bellowing that no 14 year old should ever be allowed in the woods....lol   And they wouldn't be blaming the parents....lol 

I wouldn't allow my kid at 14 to camp (overnight) with another 14 year old (without an adult present), either. Is this the norm?

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

My kids were raised around water and had swimming lessons since they were little. They took lessons right through lifeguard session. They know what to do if you fall in the water with clothes on, etc and how to save someone. Lessons were not an option in our house. They became lifeguards and had summer jobs right through college. In fact, one daughter taught private swim lessons for a summer. Kids really should not be in a boat on the open water without an adult

That's great. But when you are 14 and caught in the elements of the big ocean by yourself, good luck. 

Trusted Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I wouldn't allow my kid at 14 to camp (overnight) with another 14 year old (without an adult present), either. Is this the norm?

Missy1

You are so right  14 year olds don't belong on boats alone or camping.  You think you can trust them but at that age they have no fear and find themselves in trouble.

Super Contributor

C.Tree, 14 year old kids should not be camping alone either!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fourteen year old brains have not finished growing yet.  What these two young boys did is clear evidence that they are not mature enough to be trusted in many situations without supervision.  Under the right set of circumstances they should have had a definite time to return, and when they didn't someone should have been out there looking for them.  Sounds like these parents are pretty well off financially, and possibly they could have sent out a helicoper or requested a Coast Guard vessel to search much sooner than they did.   There's plenty of blame to go around - no need to point fingers at this point. It's proably too late.