Honored Contributor

Re: 13-Year-Old Accepted to UAB Medical School

I don't care how smart you are you don't belong in medical school at that age.  That slot should go to someone older and more mature. We need them desperately now. 

Honored Contributor

Don't her parents realize what parts of her life she is missing?  Who is driven here, the girl or her parents?

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Don't her parents realize what parts of her life she is missing?  Who is driven here, the girl or her parents?

I'm thinking the girl is the one who is driven. Look at her Lego projects.

Her parents have probably always had a hard time finding enough projects to keep their genius daughter occupied. Some kids are just standout talents. I think it's wonderful that she is supported so well.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

She's so 😍.   And brilliant.  Her parents must be very proud of her.

Regular Contributor

While she obviously a very intelligent young lady, how is it possible to accept a junior (only starting her junior year) into med school?  There is still much coursework, not to mention her MCATs.  Seems like more of honorary acceptance.

Honored Contributor

Also not very good for class morale I'd think. Study groups?  I think at that age she's still too young for the environment--for her sake and the others there.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe book smart, but what about the psychological, emotional and social development.  13 is very young for that and trying to fit in. 

Respected Contributor

No amount of parent pressure could make a child do this, this is all her and good for her! 

Honored Contributor

There are so many rules made to accommodate the masses, someone who is exceptional should be able to break those rules.  If she meets all qualifications, she should be given the opportunity.

I worked for the medical school for a time back in 2001.   It was a great experience for me.    The candidates are such an amazing group of people.  

For someone who may think the school is doing this for marketing or publicity, not true.   Every candidate is vetted, vetted & vetted again.   The school wants every candidate to graduate.   So she's not a one-off, she's the real deal

Respected Contributor

She's an amazing young woman. She must have a MENSA IQ at 13. With that mind and those looks (she's adorable), she'll go far.