Respected Contributor

I paid $60 for a Holiday special in Dec. for Ancestry.I knew what I was but not the percentages and a more specific area of a country is shared. I  also found some new 4 and 5 percentages in the mix. I was matched but ignored the matches as not interested.

Results take a month and customer service was helpful with ordering concerns.

Esteemed Contributor

NO........I just wonder how accurate it really is????    As others I don't trust the confidential part.  I think for some they would have been better off not finding out

certain things.  I would rather believe my parents were honest good people and I am the

nationalities they told me I am.

Honored Contributor

I have used 23andMe, also Ancestry, and the National Geographic version. Although each of them were basically the same, I found 23andMe to be the most detailed. I loved that I could get the health information from it.

I also purchased it for a friend who is of African descent. He was aware of conflicts in his paternity, and found it helpful in order to locate relatives. It brought tears to his eyes when I presented it to him, and when he was able to connect with others it was great for him and them. They have had a couple of family reunions and he frequently thanks me.

Anyone using these DNA companies can indicate if you want to be identified/contacted by others with your DNA markers. I chose not to allow that, so I have not been contacted by anyone in the 18 months since I did the testing.

Another friend used 23andMe and their doctor was able to use that information to help identify a medical concern that had perplexed the doctor prior to the testing. It was very helpful in knowing which medical tests to do next and to take care of the concern.

Honored Contributor

@RINGER   I have done it with 23 and Me and I highly recommend with the caveat that if you choose to do the medical side of it, be prepared.  They can and will tell you what you are most likely to die of based on genetics and that's not for the faint of heart.  Nor is it carved in stone but it's still tough to read what your demise could likely be.

As far as privacy, as someone who has actually used the service, you pick how much privacy you want to have.  Yes they will share it among themselves but you control if they share it outside of 23 and Me researchers and/or identify you when they do.  You can say yes but only anonymously or ask me first and they will.  They've asked me and some I've said yes to and others no thanks.  Or you can opt to not have them share at all.  

If you or your husband are really paranoid, just give them a fake name and they'll never trace it back to you.  There is no personal verification whatsoever.  Just a name and an address.  Use a workplace address if you are really skittish.  I've personally had no problem at all with my DNA being studied and I find it comforting that I may, in a small way, help those who come after me with a multitude of diseases just by giving up a little spit.         

Honored Contributor

“...most likely to die (of) based on genetics...”

People don’t die because of genetics.

The percentage is very, very small your death is based on ‘genetics.’

Lifestyle is the greatest cause of modern day illnesses. 

Trusted Contributor

I used 123andme and was very suprised I have no Native American in my DNA.  I was told that my dad had a great grandmother who was N.A.  But the biggest surprise was to find out I had a half brother.  Evidently my dad (age 22) got a 14 year old pregnant (I guess they were dating).  They did not marry, but the child was given our last name. 

My brother was born in 1942 (my dad was in the army) and 4 days later my dad married my mom.  I connected with my brother's daughter and we are communicating family history of my dad (he's deceased).  I'm the middle child and my younger sister is interested in this, but my older sister refuses to hear anything about our brother.  My dad was an alcoholic and my brother is a recovering one.  His personality is much like my dad's.  I think my brother deserves to know my dad as he grew up without a father.

Respected Contributor

I think this is an interesting article:

“Why a DNA data breach is much worse than a credit card leak” by Angela Chen

Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I both did 23 and me. We did get some surprises.  I thought I was just two nationalities turns out I'm lots of nationalities.  But mostly Irish. Its a fun thing to do. They give you lots of detailed info. I recommend it.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@Laura14  If you use a fake name and business address how would you expect the results to get to you? Most likely it would be returned as no one by that name was employed there. You would have to get a PO box but I think you would need identification to do that. You would also need to get a money order since to pay for it.

Whether or not you requested privacy, law enforcement can get a court order.

That's what happened on an episode of Bull. 

Valued Contributor

Is this the same kit called 23&me?