Esteemed Contributor

Re: 12 year-old kills a Sonic employee

Nothing will ever be done to address the nearly daily mass shootings.

The thoughts and prayers folks don't care if you, me or anyone else is mowed down at the grocery store, movies or at work.  They don't care if your kids or grandkids are killed at school.

They. Do. Care. About. Guns. Money. And. Power/Keeping their jobs. Period.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

This is so sad. It breaks my heart.

Kids, teens, learn this from adults. Adults learn it from adults too.

Just listen to the news and you hear about all kinds of shootings. We've had more mass shootings than days so far this year.

Listen to many politicians and all you hear is hate, vengeance, propaganda.  

Listen to religious who preach hate and intolerance.

Listen to parents who teach hate and vengeance to their kids via abuse, drugs, words, support for politicians who hate, etc etc.

Listen to the hate many have for people who are different.

I'm glad my kids are older. Yes, there was some of this when they were growing up but it's rampant and more blatant today.

Some of it is mental health but all these shootings include so much hate and intolerance.

@CalminHeart  You left how some schools are dividing children without including parental input.

That would be the result of all the new laws that ostracize and discriminate certain students. 

I'm tired of the "parental input" drama. Parents have always had input and that has never changed. It's currently used as political propaganda for votes.  

My state used to be #1 in education. We're now #27. Why? Because we have parents/people who barely passed high school on school boards and in congress, racists, bigots, and and those with warped religious views telling highly educated and trained experts what's best.

Parents need to be involved. Today, it's the loudest voice parroting propaganda and hate. History shows few will actually be productive when they get involved.   

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

I wonder if people are aware that there is an actual bill with sponsors to make the AR-15, a weapon of mass destruction, the "national gun of the US"???

Please look it up.  It is quite startling.

These shootings will continue and we will hear about them non-stop, feel broken hearted, sick, and wish something could be done.

@Mersha 

FACTS--More MASS Murders are committed with HAND GUNS.

hckynut 🇺🇸

Who cares. People are murdered. We've had more mass shootings than days in this year.

I'm tired of thoughts and prayers. Prayer is a 2-way street. God expects people to act. He won't wave a magic wand to make things better.

@CalminHeart   I care.

I care because studies are not just about stats regarding types of weapons.

These studies include research regarding mental health, ages, and other very important issues that get overlooked with the misunderstanding regarding types of weapons.

When we focus only on the weapon (and often incorrectly) we stop the process to include all important issues regarding these tragedies.

We leave out propaganda spewed out to divide and foster hate on both sides.  We ignore the collapse of our education system and refuse to recognize it isn't always about the parents.

I cannot fathom that there are people who support such murders but any person who owns a gun is an enemy now, just hiding and watching like a crocodile with only eyes above the water waiting for an opportune moment to kill and maim.

I care because we need to address mental health, including suicidal ideation.

We need to address people who fall through the cracks - the lonely, the isolated, the people suffering  mentally, physically, spiritually.

I cannot imagine any reasonable person who is not heart broken, saddened, appalled at any loss of life.

And btw John said nothing about thoughts and prayers.

People -do your homework. Research and be informed.

If there are committees in your neck of the woods get involved.

Posting opinions is fine but they should be accurate.

There is nothing wrong with prayers either. I don't expect the God of my understanding to fix the issue. Prayers are private.

good grief.

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Enufstuff wrote:

@CAcableGirl2   I totally agree. But a lot of video games

promote violence.

It's almost like these young people are

acting out the violence that they play

on the video games.

They have been desensitized to violence.

There is no feeling or empathy for others.

It's a scary world today. I'm glad that I

raised my kids in a kinder world, back

in the 70's and 80's.

They could play outside and go anywhere,

without fear.

I believe that has been debunked by professionals.  Japan apparently has and has had for years the highest level of video game players and the country has a very low rate of violence.

No, in this country video games are a problem (per professionals). You can't compare the US to a country that holds respecting others as a major value in their culture.

Respected Contributor

The posters with extremist comments reveals that they're just being emotional and not using logic. Just sayin.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We just had a situation where a man attacked and seriously injured two Congressional staffers with a metal baseball bat.

Of course he had previously attacked a police officer and tried to take his weapon, but apparently that was no big deal as he was not prosecuted.

Oh I bet he will be now.  Where you stand on crime apparently depends on whether it happens to you.

It's so easy to blame guns and give the criminals a pass.  Until they go after you - then it's a very different deal.

Respected Contributor

We have the Mayor of DC proposing stricter penalties for crimes involving guns (Note that guns are illegal in DC in the first place.)  This is controversial and may not pass.

Imagine actually enforcing our gun laws.  Noooooo - we shouldn't do that - we should just ban guns -because everyone knows it's not the criminal's fault that they commit crimes with guns.

Of course how do we then enforce the gun ban?  Oh I know - prosecute innocent legal gun owners for not giving up their weapons - but NEVER those who commit crimes with these banned guns.

I'm sure that will make us all safer.

Honored Contributor

I have had the same gun in my bedroom since I was 21 years old, now 61.  Thank goodness I have never had to use it on anyone, but I will if I ever need to.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nothing will be done about mass shootings and gun restrictions because politicians pockets are deep with money supplied to them by the gun lobbies and nra. They care about the money more than they care about school children being massacred, mall shoppers being massacred or church goers being massacred.  The "thoughts and prayers" conservatives worship a killing idol over anything else. They do not care plain and simple. 

Easy access to high mag. guns and military guns that their only reason for being is to kill more people faster is just one of the problems.

Conservatives railing about mental illness and then cutting the funds necessary to help those programs is another big problem.

The US has the highest firearm death rate in developed countries.   We should follow other countries lead and make it harder for people to get guns. Ban certain types of guns. Red flag laws should be enacted. Real actual background checks.  And name names of the politicians that take money from gun lobbies and the scummy nra.

ETA- Oh, and start holding gun manufacturers accountable/liable for the deaths.  If car, food and other manufacturers can be held accountable, so should gun manufacturers.

Esteemed Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

Nothing will be done about mass shootings and gun restrictions because politicians pockets are deep with money supplied to them by the gun lobbies and nra. They care about the money more than they care about school children being massacred, mall shoppers being massacred or church goers being massacred. 

The "thoughts and prayers" conservatives worship a killing idol over anything else. They do not care plain and simple. 

@Rockycoast 

I care, and I do not worship any inanimate object. I won't involve myself in the many inaccuracies of your comments below.

You obviously are very concerned about these topics, as am I. In spite of our differences, we both want the same results. Less, or no mass murders, by any type of weapon. 

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

Easy access to high mag. guns and military guns that their only reason for being is to kill more people faster is just one of the problems.

Conservatives railing about mental illness and then cutting the funds necessary to help those programs is another big problem.

The US has the highest firearm death rate in developed countries.   We should follow other countries lead and make it harder for people to get guns. Ban certain types of guns. Red flag laws should be enacted. Real actual background checks.  And name names of the politicians that take money from gun lobbies and the scummy nra.

hckynut(john)