Esteemed Contributor

In all fairness @JaneMarple, a lot of lessons were learned from Katrina and incorporated into FEMA's response protocol.  One of the most important things learned is that people will sacrifice themselves for their pets.  As a result most shelters will now accomodate pets.

Another thing to consider is some of what was determined should have been done in NOLA during Katrina would not work in Houston during Harvey.   All things considered it appears that Houston is better prepared to respond than NOLA ever was.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I've had DirecTV for over 10 years now.

When Katrina hit, DirecTV showed local New Orleans television news broadcasts.

We had friends in the area, they were without power and living in a shelter.   They had little access to news.

We would watch their local news, send them texts of what areas were hit badly, what areas were safer.   Which roads were opened or closed, on & on.

I did not see that during Harvey.

Could be several reasons.   One is now AT&T owns DirecTV

Another reason could be the local TV studios were flooded and off the air.

Many people who left LA after Katrina settled in Houston.   

Bless them all.

Super Contributor

@Marp wrote:

In all fairness @JaneMarple, a lot of lessons were learned from Katrina and incorporated into FEMA's response protocol.  One of the most important things learned is that people will sacrifice themselves for their pets.  As a result most shelters will now accomodate pets.

Another thing to consider is some of what was determined should have been done in NOLA during Katrina would not work in Houston during Harvey.   All things considered it appears that Houston is better prepared to respond than NOLA ever was.

I agree with you @Marp. Thank you for this thread of remembrance.