Esteemed Contributor

Hurricane Katrina hit NOLA.  August 29, 2005.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Super Contributor

OMGL----thats right !   I was in my new home unpacking, getting a furniture delivery. It was brutally hot and I made the delivery guys take time out to cool down with cold water and we watched the coverage on TV. Mr and I slept with theTV on to keep current with the events as they unfolded.

Trusted Contributor

I remember so many stories from Katrina.... there is still damage that hasnt been repaired from this.  I didnt know much about this city.... only about Mardi Gras.... this storm brought out so much about this region.

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

Hurricane Katrina hit NOLA.  August 29, 2005.

I'll never forget the massive destruction.  After the first responders and other immediate safety measures were in process and outside help was there, a lot of us were sent to Mobile, Alabama. We were public welfare staff from departments in surrounding areas housed in old military barracks in order to go to the civic center to certify people for emergency food stamps. Thousands of people misplaced, many lost everything. You begin to really understand how horrendous it is for them when you are hands-on with survivors. This is another reason why I can truly relate to the people in Texas.

Honored Contributor

My grandparents house was still standing when I was able to check a few years later, although they didn't live there when Katrina hit. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Regular Contributor

Yes, I have posted about Katrina several times over the years as we were there as were my DD and granddaughter. I still have PTSD and  Harvey is really upsetting me. My daughter lost everything during Katrina and still is not put back together. It's really a tragedy!! We have a small town home there and had flood insurance so aside from the mental anquish, we were alright. If you haven't experienced a true national disaster, you are blessed! It stays with you forever (  I think) and changes who you are.

Honored Contributor

I remember it well, and was on the ground doing animal emergenacy service before Rita hit.

Bless those were lost and those who gave all they could to save as many as they could.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry about all that Katrina did 12 years ago.  Also tomorrow will be our 53rd Wedding Anniversary!!  Resulted in two wonderful daughters, and 1 year old identical twin granddaughters!

Esteemed Contributor

SMH

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp I really thought that Katrina would have taught us how to go about doing things better but now Harvey is breaking my heart all over again for pretty much the same reasons. I can't wrap my head around it.

Blessings to the people of Texas. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson