Honored Contributor

@DARING GREATLY wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

I surely don't find 115 degrees anything unusual if you live in the middle of the desert as those that live in AZ do. Just par for the course.

It's dangerous.   Sometimes the rest of the country ignores the needs here because it's "expected."    There are homeless people here and some with no AC.   It's not par for the course.  It's dangerous and consumming.

Then there's the sheriff who thinks his inmates should live outside in tents with no A/C or fans.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Are there cooling centers for people who have no air conditioning?  It's very dangerous to be in that kind of heat.

Valued Contributor

Howdy neighbor! I've been living here for 12 years and I'll never get used to this heat. Thank goodness I work at home. I treat the heat the way others treat brutal winters. I stay indoors. Thank goodness in a couple of months we'll have heavenly weather.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The first summer I lived in Midland, Tx., it officially got up to 116 degrees (all-time record), at the airport.  In town it was unofficially 120 degrees.  That's one reason I was anxious to leave Texas, just too darn hot.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I do want to say, the Phoenix area is gorgeous from October thru May. The winters and springs are just perfect, 70 - 80 degrees and glorious.  But, the summers give the area a bad name.   I guess as with life, we take the bad with the good.

My AC went out last weekend.   I got it fixed, thank goodness, but my home heated up so fast and in just a few hours, I was lithargic and very, very uncomfortable.   I slept by putting cold towels over me with fans aimed at me on the couch.   It took 10 hours for the house to cool again once the A/C was serviced.

AspenGrove, where did you end up moving to?

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@DARING GREATLY wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

I surely don't find 115 degrees anything unusual if you live in the middle of the desert as those that live in AZ do. Just par for the course.

It's dangerous.   Sometimes the rest of the country ignores the needs here because it's "expected."    There are homeless people here and some with no AC.   It's not par for the course.  It's dangerous and consumming.

Then there's the sheriff who thinks his inmates should live outside in tents with no A/C or fans.

Hopefully, Sheriff Arpaio won't be voted in another term.   He's such a jerk.

Trusted Contributor

@brii wrote:

Are there cooling centers for people who have no air conditioning?  It's very dangerous to be in that kind of heat.

There are agencies like the Salvation Army and such who have places for people to stay, but space is limited.   There are water drives every year to bring water to those who need it.

Also, I notice at my public library there are a lot of homeless folks who go there during open hours to stay cool. 

It's the same with blizzards in the East.   It's expected, but it's still a dangerous situation during those bad winter storms.   

One summer it was 125 degrees and the sidewalk in front of my office buckled.    The airport sometimes has to close when it's that hot.

Trusted Contributor

@Tsukiko wrote:

Howdy neighbor! I've been living here for 12 years and I'll never get used to this heat. Thank goodness I work at home. I treat the heat the way others treat brutal winters. I stay indoors. Thank goodness in a couple of months we'll have heavenly weather.

I know, I have to plan my errands for earlier in the day.  I walk everyday and have to get up at 4:30 am to start my walk before 5am.   Yet I still sweat like nuts.    I long for the days in December when I can walk in the afternoons in a sweatshirt!!! 

Trusted Contributor

That is why I am only a winter resident.  I love it then. Much better than -20 here.

Valued Contributor

@DARING GREATLY wrote:

AspenGrove, where did you end up moving to?

Colorado! Have loved it since the day I arrived, more than 16 years ago.