Honored Contributor

Re: 11 yr. old drove 200 miles..............

@cherry wrote:

@Spurt  as far as I am concerned, an 11 year old talking to someone in a chat room ,shouold be monitored. It doesn't sound to me like he was...You can only blame the groomer for so much. It is the parents repsonsiblity to look out for their children and keep them from situations like this..Who taught an 11 year old to drive to begin with, something doesn't sound right in this home ,in my opinion

@cherry 

Your ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY RIGHT!!!!  Responsiblity rests witht he parents 100%!!!! And I even mentioned that in a post to the OP....But my point is this doesnt just happen to unhappy kids, or kids living in an abusive home...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@cherry wrote:

It is a guess on my part @mom2four0418  but, I don't think an 11 year old ,that drives 200 miles from home, to meet up wtih an online companion ,sounds like he has a happy home life. It sounds to me like he is running away from a situation that made him very unhappy..

Yes.  And I am 100% certain that a kid can't learn to drive from playing video games....LOL   Thats like saying someone can learn to be a heart surgeon by watching medical shows on tv....LOL   The good thing is that the child's 200 mile odyssey brought him to the attention of law enforcement and child protection services.  

@chrystaltree 

I didnt learn heart surgery from the "old school" games either....

Operation Game Replacement Board 1997 Hasbro

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

It only happens to kids who are left to their own devices, with no parent looking over their shoulder @Spurt..The first job of every parent is to protect their children from harm..

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

It only happens to kids who are left to their own devices, with no parent looking over their shoulder @Spurt..The first job of every parent is to protect their children from harm..

@cherry 

👍

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 You see, in today's world there is no parenting.  There are split families, and blended fammilies and latch key children, and single-parent families, and parents trying to be their child's best friend and on and on.  We've allowed this mess to build up over decades, if not longer, and now we're reaping what we've sowed.  Want to see the problem?  Look in the mirror.

There are plenty of non-traditional families who are raising happy, healthy kids, and there are plenty of traditional families that are dysfunctional and the kids also turn out to be dysfunctional. I was raised by my grandparents. Every generation has its problems, there is no perfect era, and you should realize that. 

Respected Contributor

Socrates said it best a looooong time ago. Hasn't changed much.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

Socrates said it best a looooong time ago. Hasn't changed much.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

That's apocryphal. Socrates didn't say that. 

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Spurt  as far as I am concerned, an 11 year old talking to someone in a chat room ,shouold be monitored. It doesn't sound to me like he was...You can only blame the groomer for so much. It is the parents repsonsiblity to look out for their children and keep them from situations like this..Who taught an 11 year old to drive to begin with, something doesn't sound right in this home ,in my opinion

@cherry 

Your ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY RIGHT!!!!  Responsiblity rests witht he parents 100%!!!! And I even mentioned that in a post to the OP....But my point is this doesnt just happen to unhappy kids, or kids living in an abusive home...

I agree. 

Honored Contributor

This story is so bizarre and scary that I have told my daughter about it. I have an 11 year old grandson, and I wanted them to be aware of it, and what can happen with these web sites.......This is just crazy! I am so glad he had to stop.....This could have ended so badly.........

Valued Contributor

I’m horrified by this story.  I have a 14 year old niece and her mom monitors her cell phone and does not allow her to be on any social media.  The computer is in the living room, not her bedroom so there is no privacy.  Her cell phone is limited and her mom reads her texts randomly but always after she is allowed to use it.  That’s about all you can do, but parents need to do their jobs