Honored Contributor

Re: 11 things Illegal to throw into the Trash

@esmerelda  Really? Tell me where I can find the locations for all of these things M-S, 8-6 pm (since most people work during the day). Because the local dump (about 45 minutes each way) offers paint drop off once a month (never the same day) has a place for tires (a bit heavy for most but who cares about that) and then the big dumpsters for the rest of your trash. 

I thought all pharmacies took back unused drug but no, not the case. 

Don't get me started on having to BUY special, clear bags and BUY specific colored containers if you wish to participate in the county recycling program......

As for litter on the side of the road: I've seen the garbage men spread more trash around with their sloppy pickup in neighborhoods then anything else. We then have to go and clean up THEIR mess to keep our streets clean. I've seen things blow out the back of large commercial trucks because their tarp wasn't fastened down correctly (if they even used one). I can't remember the last time I saw someone throw garbage out of their window driving but CAN remember a contractor dumping bags of garbage from a work site when their truck went over a speed bump....that was a lovely mess and yes, it went all over the road and the side of the road and no, they never stopped. 

IMHO, the biggest litterbugs are companies and employees of those companies not the driver on the road or those placing their trash out for the PAID collection of it. Nope, not seeing it.

Honored Contributor

Our paint, batteries, tv, computers, etc etc. can be dropped off at a county hazardous waste facility. You pull up and they empty your car.

We cannot go to a dump. Trash is collected twice a week along with bottles, plastics, cardboard, etc in separate containers. They walk into the driveway and take it out of a garbage enclosure. They don't make a mess at all. I had a garbage bag on my front stoop to take out when I left, they came up to my door and took it.

One Pharmacy in town will take all discarded pills at their drop off bin.

Honored Contributor

I try to comply as best as l can. But there are no Garbage Police in my area to monitor it. Lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

@esmerelda  Really? Tell me where I can find the locations for all of these things M-S, 8-6 pm (since most people work during the day). Because the local dump (about 45 minutes each way) offers paint drop off once a month (never the same day) has a place for tires (a bit heavy for most but who cares about that) and then the big dumpsters for the rest of your trash. 

I thought all pharmacies took back unused drug but no, not the case. 

Don't get me started on having to BUY special, clear bags and BUY specific colored containers if you wish to participate in the county recycling program......

As for litter on the side of the road: I've seen the garbage men spread more trash around with their sloppy pickup in neighborhoods then anything else. We then have to go and clean up THEIR mess to keep our streets clean. I've seen things blow out the back of large commercial trucks because their tarp wasn't fastened down correctly (if they even used one). I can't remember the last time I saw someone throw garbage out of their window driving but CAN remember a contractor dumping bags of garbage from a work site when their truck went over a speed bump....that was a lovely mess and yes, it went all over the road and the side of the road and no, they never stopped. 

IMHO, the biggest litterbugs are companies and employees of those companies not the driver on the road or those placing their trash out for the PAID collection of it. Nope, not seeing it.

@SahmIamThere is a center near me that is open 7 AM -6 PM six days a week...closed one weekday each week and on Thanksgiving and Christmas.  That's not to say that I don't have to do some PLANNING if I have to take trash out.  I could pay to have it collected but it's convenient enough that I choose not to.  Also, the heavy stuff...there is always an attendant (or two) or maybe a neighbor who is there at the same time who will help when needed.  There are dumpsters for trash, collection places for oil, electronics/appliances, metal, tires, a place for plastic bags and a dumpster for recycling (paper, cans, glass, cardboard) .

Once a year there is one of these centers (there are a few throughout the county and collection is at a different one each year) that collects hazardous waste (as someone else here mentioned).  Is there not something like that (hazardous waste collection) in your area?  You may need to call someone in local government and find the answer to where you take the bad stuff.  

Thanks for expanding on my roadside litter comment.  True enough what you say about contractors and garbage men and stuff blowing out of the back of trucks.  If it bothers you, when you see this happen, take down the license plate and call the cops.

Most of the litter I see on my local roads is fast food wrappers and beer containers.  Seriously doubt they blew out of the back of anyone's truck.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Our paint, batteries, tv, computers, etc etc. can be dropped off at a county hazardous waste facility. You pull up and they empty your car.

We cannot go to a dump. Trash is collected twice a week along with bottles, plastics, cardboard, etc in separate containers. They walk into the driveway and take it out of a garbage enclosure. They don't make a mess at all. I had a garbage bag on my front stoop to take out when I left, they came up to my door and took it.

One Pharmacy in town will take all discarded pills at their drop off bin.

@proudlyfromNJ  I need to move to where you live; we have nothing like that here. It's more of a free for all...."not my job" kind of place.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

We live in an area that  only has one day a year for disposal of much of these things, and then you have to be able to take them to the one location in your county on that collection day. And some of them like tires, have a fee to drop them off even on that day. 

I think when they make it that hard to dispose of these things, you have people 'cheat' and get rid of them in any way they can. They dump them along the roadside, they hide them in the regular trash, they pour them down the storm sewers or drains.

More areas need to make it easier to properly dispose of things like this, to prevent them from being mishandled.

I agree @Mominohio. If government and industry want to get serious about protecting us and the environment from hazards created by waste, maybe they should partner to come up with options to make it easier to dispose of what one has approved and the other has created... We paid for these things once, we shouldn't have to pay to dispose of them nor should we have to seek out often inconvenient and distant locations for their disposal, where we do all the work...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

There are places that will take batteries. My husband had a big one from a Sears tool and Sears took it back. No charge.

Honored Contributor

Many elderly or disabled cannot drive to the drop-off sites. In our area, they are in remote parts of the city. Municipal govts should take steps to assist these folks if they want them to comply with the rules.
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't know about batteries......

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

if i recall correctly our town accepts most everything in the trash except for 

batteries, paint,medication, oil (car engine oil), 

the bad part of this they only collect this stuff once per year so if you have any of this stuff you have to store it till that turn in day rolls around