Honored Contributor

100TH ANNIVERSARY OF LINCOLN MEMORIAL MAY 30

On May 30, 1922, 100 years ago,  the landmark Lincoln Memorial was dedicated in Washington:

1922Linmem.jpg

Site of so many momentous occasions in the nation's history.  No one forgets his or her first encounter with the monument, the beauty of Lincoln's statue and the stone-inscibed words he spoke on the wall.  

Sculptor Daniel Chester French did a magnificent job on the figure of Lincoln, which, reportedly if not seated, would be 27 feet tall, standing.   But it's Lincoln's pensive gaze that compels, as well as those expressive hands.

GettyImages-183890041.jpg

Taft Speaks at Lincoln Memorial dedication.jpg

Fittingly, Lincoln's remaining surviving son, Robert Lincoln, who had been in his twenties on his father's assassination, was able to attend the dedication ceremony.  You can only imagine his thoughts and feelings on that occasion.

Full-shot-Lincoln-Memorial-1024x768.jpg

A deeply moving monument and experience.   Another observance to cherish on this solemn Memorial Day weekend.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 100TH ANNIVERSARY OF LINCOLN MEMORIAL MAY 30

Fascinating that Lincoln's son, Robert Todd Lincoln, then 78, was in attendance!  He lived until 1926.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't know today was the 100th anniversary of the memorial.  To me, this is something that you think has always been there, especially since learning about it in grade school.  I honestly never wondered about when it was built.  The first time I saw it in person I was 10 years old. Very impressive. Interesting about his son being able to attend.  It must have been so touching for him to see this tribute to his father.

Thanks for sharing this information @Oznell 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell,

Thanks for this interesting info, much appreciated!

Small American flag at National cemetary - Memorial Day display -

Esteemed Contributor

Robert Todd Lincoln,  right, with Chief Justice William Howard Taft and President Harding.

harding-taft-lincoln.jpg

Trusted Contributor

The seating for the opening ceremony at the memorial was strictly segregated.  In fact, the keynote speaker at the opening ceremony, the president of Tuskegee, who was black, couldn't sit with the other speakers, but had to sit in the designated area for black people.  The terrible pain of our history. 

The design of Lincoln's hands was intentional.  The closed fist symbolizes war, the open hand peace.

Valued Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

The seating for the opening ceremony at the memorial was strictly segregated.  In fact, the keynote speaker at the opening ceremony, the president of Tuskegee, who was black, couldn't sit with the other speakers, but had to sit in the designated area for black people.  The terrible pain of our history. 

The design of Lincoln's hands was intentional.  The closed fist symbolizes war, the open hand peace.

All countries have terrible parts in their history.  America is not unique in this.

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

@Oznell   Thank you for another interesting and important thread.

The Lincoln Memorial is one of those sites where no words are needed.  We were just silent taking it all in and the significance of it all.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Long ago, on a visit to friends in Chicago, we strolled by a plaque that stated that Mary Lincoln lived here.  Something I never knew.

So I started reading, evidently Robert his hands full caring for her later in life.  Not a happy story.