Honored Contributor

Re: 100TH ANNIVERSARY OF LINCOLN MEMORIAL MAY 30

[ Edited ]

My husband and I just attended a reunion of his Army buddies in Georgia. One of the guys my husband was in the service with, does alot of volunteer work at Arlington Cemetery. He drives from Columbus, Ohio to Washington, D.C. frequently.

He was asked to volunteer for the 100th Anniversary of the Lincoln Memorial. So he had to leave the reunion early so he could get to Washington, D.C.

It will be interesting to find out what he did.

PS - Glad the National  Parks Service had time to clean up the broken glass, litter and spilled wine and champagne.

The memorial announced on Twitter that it would remove once it was 'safe,' and did reopen a few hours later

Valued Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Long ago, on a visit to friends in Chicago, we strolled by a plaque that stated that Mary Lincoln lived here.  Something I never knew.

So I started reading, evidently Robert his hands full caring for her later in life.  Not a happy story.

Historians say she, Mary, suffered from mental illness, depression i.e.  AL was said to be at his wit's end to help her because at that time with no medicines and the misunderstanding of mental illness....well it was just not a good situation.  She felt abandoned.  He was a strong man to be sure tho.  Having to deal with trouble at home and trouble in the land.  

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Esteemed Contributor

@Northray wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

The seating for the opening ceremony at the memorial was strictly segregated.  In fact, the keynote speaker at the opening ceremony, the president of Tuskegee, who was black, couldn't sit with the other speakers, but had to sit in the designated area for black people.  The terrible pain of our history. 

The design of Lincoln's hands was intentional.  The closed fist symbolizes war, the open hand peace.

All countries have terrible parts in their history.  America is not unique in this.

That's so true.  This terrible stain though, happens to be America's and her statement is in line with the topic of the thread.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Valued Contributor

Thank you for this information @Oznell , I didn't realize it was the 100th anniversary.

When I see pictures of the Lincoln Memorial, I can't help but think of the scene in "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" where Jimmy Stewart goes there after being betrayed by "Senator Paine". Saunders finds him there and encourages him to stay and fight for the right. She tells him that Lincoln had his Senator Paine's too.

I'm thankful for the Memorial Day holiday this country has to remember and honor those brave men and women who have died while serving in the U.S. armed forces.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Northray wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

The seating for the opening ceremony at the memorial was strictly segregated.  In fact, the keynote speaker at the opening ceremony, the president of Tuskegee, who was black, couldn't sit with the other speakers, but had to sit in the designated area for black people.  The terrible pain of our history. 

The design of Lincoln's hands was intentional.  The closed fist symbolizes war, the open hand peace.

All countries have terrible parts in their history.  America is not unique in this.

That's so true.  This terrible stain though, happens to be America's and her statement is in line with the topic of the thread.

Yes, and I wasn't questioning her statement as not being in line with the thread just that we shouldn't be surprised about the past and its inequities and just wallow in the bad parts as if we are so special and unique to it.  The past is always a mix of the best of times and the worst of times.  But it's everyone's choice on what to steep their hearts in.  

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Northray wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Northray wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

Yes, and I wasn't questioning her statement as not being in line with the thread just that we shouldn't be surprised about the past and its inequities and just wallow in the bad parts as if we are so special and unique to it.  The past is always a mix of the best of times and the worst of times.  But it's everyone's choice on what to steep their hearts in.  

Some of these events give certain individuals more consternation than others.  Those who do feel it, have their right to feel it.  We can't instruct people on how to feel about certain historical events.  We have to let them see it from their perspective so they can resolve it within themselves.  We have no right to tell or assume everyone will feel the same.  Some experience much more pain than others.  That's not something we have control over.

Valued Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Northray wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Northray wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

Some of these events give certain individuals more consternation than others.  Those who do feel it, have their right to feel it.  We can't instruct people on how to feel about certain historical events.  We have to let them see it from their perspective so they can resolve it within themselves.  We have no right to tell or assume everyone will feel the same.  Some experience much more pain than others.  That's not something we have control over.

Correct. But it goes both ways.  Her post implied that other posters had to "feel" a certain way about Lincoln and his memorial by "reminding" posters of the "unique trouble that only happens in America."  Lest we forget and try and think otherwise. That's a type of thought control. But I'll concede and just say to you, do you Boo and let others do the same.      

-Rumi
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't "read" that at all in the post referenced. 

The poster was just stating actual, irrefutable historical fact.

Valued Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I didn't "read" that at all in the post referenced. 

The poster was just stating actual, irrefutable historical fact.

Well that's good for YOU.

-Rumi
Esteemed Contributor

@Northray wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Northray wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Northray wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

Correct. But it goes both ways.  Her post implied that other posters had to "feel" a certain way about Lincoln and his memorial by "reminding" posters of the "unique trouble that only happens in America."  Lest we forget and try and think otherwise. That's a type of thought control. But I'll concede and just say to you, do you Boo and let others do the same.      

This will be my last post to you about this subject.  YOU said that "all countries" have a stain.  I said that we are talking about this country's stain.  I saw that as an attempt to deflect. Not that you were going off topic.  You were right on topic.   I did understand the context.  It was your statement that I wanted to speak to. I did and I'm done.  Of course, I'll do "me."  I always, always do.  Don't know any other way to be....