Honored Contributor

Re: 1000 Year Old Medicine May Treat MRSA - Too Good To Be True?

On 3/30/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 3/30/2015 dooBdoo said:

Wow! This is so encouraging, as are the new treatments using the polio, measles, and HIV viruses for cancer patients.

Thanks for this thread, <em>Noel</em>!

I have to read more about the polio/cancer treatments. I was under the weather for a bit when that was on Sunday night.

If you think it sounds promising, I'm heartened Smile

You're a gem, Noel.Smile

There was a story on 60 minutes, and also HBO's show "Vice" recently has devoted an hour to the research and outcomes (it aired last night, so there might be other showings or it might be available with OnDemand).

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 straykatz said:

Awesome!

Naturopath's have gained some ground as people slowly look for alternative treatments beyond the chemicals that big pharma sells or pushes for our traditional doctors to push for them.

Just listen to the side effects and possible dangers of the drugs advertized on TV....that alone should be enough to scare anyone off form asking for or taking any of those meds.

I'd hope that would also be part of new medical research.

Does anyone remember the Foxfire books? They came out years ago as an attempt to document life in Appalachia. Everything from folk songs to folk medicine. I think the books also contained old recipes of folk medicine.

Image result for foxfire books

Yes! Those are from my neck of the woods, and my family knows some of the contributors to those lovely books! I believe their magazine is still being published.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Wonderful!

I've always been fascinated with those who've lived in the Appalachia mountains for generations!

You probably know this already, but what got me hooked were reports years ago that some people in the hard to find corners still spoke Elizabethan English {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} WOW, WOW, WOW!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 Ford1224 said:

Awesome!

Naturopath's have gained some ground as people slowly look for alternative treatments beyond the chemicals that big pharma sells or pushes for our traditional doctors to push for them.

Just listen to the side effects and possible dangers of the drugs advertized on TV....that alone should be enough to scare anyone off form asking for or taking any of those meds.

I have those biologics pushed on me all the time. I won't take them and the RA docs then tell me there is nothing they can do for me. So I don't have an RA doc anymore. Same with statins and bisphosphonates.

I don't take them, either, but it's not the fault of my doctor. There is NO CURE for what you or I have.

For those with lupus, methotrexate is the only drug of use for those who have resulting kidney disease.

We can't blame the MDs because there is no cure for a genetic illness.

There IS treatment for other issues they cause for us.

Honored Contributor

Awesome!

I'd hope that would also be part of new medical research.

Does anyone remember the Foxfire books? They came out years ago as an attempt to document life in Appalachia. Everything from folk songs to folk medicine. I think the books also contained old recipes of folk medicine.

Image result for foxfire books

Yes! Those are from my neck of the woods, and my family knows some of the contributors to those lovely books! I believe their magazine is still being published.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Wonderful!

I've always been fascinated with those who've lived in the Appalachia mountains for generations!

You probably know this already, but what got me hooked were reports years ago that some people in the hard to find corners still spoke Elizabethan English {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} WOW, WOW, WOW!

I also know some contemporary artists who are related to those who were involved with the books. Yes, 'way back into the mountains you'd be surprised to hear the words and phrases which come directly from Elizabethan English -- it's called "Appalachian English" if my memory serves me.

I'm glad you brought this up... I hadn't thought of it in a long time, and I want to look into the magazine to see if it's still active.

Thanks!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Wow! This is so encouraging, as are the new treatments using the polio, measles, and HIV viruses for cancer patients.

Thanks for this thread, <em>Noel</em>!

I have to read more about the polio/cancer treatments. I was under the weather for a bit when that was on Sunday night.

If you think it sounds promising, I'm heartened Smile

You're a gem, Noel.Smile

There was a story on 60 minutes, and also HBO's show "Vice" recently has devoted an hour to the research and outcomes (it aired last night, so there might be other showings or it might be available with OnDemand).

I'll see if I can find online reports, it's such good news!

Honored Contributor

Wonderful!

I also know some contemporary artists who are related to those who were involved with the books. Yes, 'way back into the mountains you'd be surprised to hear the words and phrases which come directly from Elizabethan English -- it's called "Appalachian English" if my memory serves me.

I'm glad you brought this up... I hadn't thought of it in a long time, and I want to look into the magazine to see if it's still active.

Thanks!

PLEASE let me know what you find out! Smile

Honored Contributor

Will do, Noel!Smile

Honored Contributor

Awesome!

I have those biologics pushed on me all the time. I won't take them and the RA docs then tell me there is nothing they can do for me. So I don't have an RA doc anymore. Same with statins and bisphosphonates.

I don't take them, either, but it's not the fault of my doctor. There is NO CURE for what you or I have.

For those with lupus, methotrexate is the only drug of use for those who have resulting kidney disease.

We can't blame the MDs because there is no cure for a genetic illness.

There IS treatment for other issues they cause for us.

I know that Noel. I am just so frustrated with it all. I still can't stand up without support for more than five minutes and I guess that's just my life now. I don't even think about it anymore. That pain is just always going to be there.

I just found out yesterday that I can't open the dryer door. There's nothing to it, just a handle. Everyone opens it easily. I don't have enough strength in my hands to open it. It's the little things that get to us. My writing is so bad now that when I have to write a check I have one of my daughters do it and I just sign it.

Oh well, I swore I was not going to complain anymore. Almost everyone has something at this age. The day I can no longer type, well, I won't even go into that fear.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I know that Noel. I am just so frustrated with it all. I still can't stand up without support for more than five minutes and I guess that's just my life now. I don't even think about it anymore. That pain is just always going to be there.

I just found out yesterday that I can't open the dryer door. There's nothing to it, just a handle. Everyone opens it easily. I don't have enough strength in my hands to open it. It's the little things that get to us. My writing is so bad now that when I have to write a check I have one of my daughters do it and I just sign it.

Oh well, I swore I was not going to complain anymore. Almost everyone has something at this age. The day I can no longer type, well, I won't even go into that fear.

I totally understand, Ford. I just realized today that it's incredibly painful trying to turn my vacuum on and off. I hope I can find a different one with a softer touch.

The bottom line is we have to play the hand we are dealt. Focusing on the pain and frustration makes it worse.

There is a lot for us to be happy about. We both have daughters we love and who are incredibly good to us.

The internet is a great source of new ideas and beautiful photographs, poetry, movies, music. Explore Smile

Super Contributor

Very interesting topic. Ford and Noel I'm sorry you have to struggle. My mom had lupus and arthritis (though not RA). I know it is difficult.

I do think there are natural remedies out there. It's finding them that becomes the challenge. I don't think it benefits drug companies for people to want alternative medicines.

I know when I told the doctor treating my thyroid that I wanted to take a more natural medication he said that the synthetic was the only one that worked. I had been on the synthetic for several years and I think it was killing me (I don't say that lightly). Found another doctor and changed meds and feel so much better.

As far as the vacuum I just bought a shark and it seems easy to turn off/on or my previous vacuum a kenmore canister had a foot button. Much easier to use the foot-way more power in your legs.