Honored Contributor

Re: $100 cancellation fee for the dentist....

Lulu:  Because they keep doing it, no matter how many times I've told them to discuss it with me first before making up the appointment, and then having me cancel it all over again, and then I get another card with another date, not caring if I will be able to make THAT appointment, as well.  Just seems easier for them to call me (they never have) and we can discuss the month/date/time before they send me a 'reminder' card.   It's just a game (with them), I guess.  Or some type of policy.  Seems hard on the office staff, to have to re-do appointments.  Oh, well.  We'll see what happens.  Maybe I'll write them a letter this week. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s.  I forgot to mention that when I do attempt to cancel, I have to leave a message, cancelling.  I leave my phone number, asking them to call me for another replacement/rescheduling appointment.  But they never do.  They just send another reminder card with the new appointment.  Oh, well.  There are worse problems in the world to think about, and that's for sure 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY

I do not know where you live so do not know what is customary.

Unless it is a return call, I have never had a doctors' office call me to schedule an appointment.  I  receive a card with an appointment time or a card reminding me it is time for me to schedule an appointment.

I cannot imagine any scheduler having time to call patients to schedule appointments. 

Frequent Contributor

In other words, prove you're not lying to us. What an insult.

Frequent Contributor

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard a doctor's office do.

Frequent Contributor

I've never had a doctor's office silly enough to send me a wild-guess appointment day and time. A card saying call to make an appointment, sure, but inconceivable that they should guess when you might be free.

Frequent Contributor

I didn't realize when you reply, it doesn't put it under the post you replied to, so please disregard my comments in this thread.

Honored Contributor

@Feliciti wrote:

I've never had a doctor's office silly enough to send me a wild-guess appointment day and time. A card saying call to make an appointment, sure, but inconceivable that they should guess when you might be free.

The appointment times are not wild guesses.  For routine check-ups most offices ask you to schedule your next appointment when you are checking out.  They send a reminder card.  If you did not schedule an appointment, a computer generated card is sent telling you it is time for a visit and asks you to call and schedule one.

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

A dentist in our town now does cosmetic Botox procedures.  That tells me she's not a very good dentist.

My dentist supposedly does them, too.  I've seen literature on it at some point.  I know he's a very good dentist because an orthodontist who is very much a stickler (the sign of a good doctor) has him as her dentist.  That's how I heard about him.  Because of that, I don't think the Botox thing means they're not skilled.  I think dentists must learn a great deal about the body above the neck, and so a D.M.D. is well qualified after some training to administer Botox.  My dentist does a lot of oral surgeries that are far more complex than Botox.  I think a dentist's training makes this a natural for them to add to their practice.

Valued Contributor

My husband told me, this evening, he was going to the dentist, tomorrow.  He said the office called and asked him if he could come, tomorrow, instead of his scheduled appointment, next week.  That is the kind of dentist I want. We are all working together to help each other.   A good front office knows their clientele and knows how to move appointments.  I think you found the answer to why your dentist is charging a fee even though you gave them ample time to rebook your time. There is not a lot the front office can do when a dentist works only one day a week.   Glad you shared your story!  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela