Honored Contributor

Re: 100 YEARS AGO THIS MONTH, THE ROYAL ROMANOVS MET THEIR TRAGIC END

@CLEM, that one sounds faintly familiar to me-- I would love to read that as well.  Apparently the sisters had very distinct personalities.  I think I read that the one that was acknowledged by all to be a raving beauty--(was it Tatiana?) acted as a nurse during World War I and loved it so much that she would have been a nurse if she hadn't been a "royal".   Sad.  (And, if she hadn't been killed in the flush of youth, of course...)

Honored Contributor

Yes, @drizzellla, the details of what happened in that "half-basement" are horrifying.  I don't recommend anyone with tender sensibilites looking up the details of how they died and what was done.  It is far more hideous than the erroneous image I had of them being outdoors, and "just" shot.  (If you can ever say "just" shot.)

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

Thank you for the recommendation.

I just ordered it 👍 

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

The Romanov Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra by [Rappaport, Helen]

@Oznell  I think it was this book.  I read it on Kindle, so haven't seen the cover.

If I remember correctly, it was the oldest who was the beauty.  And yes, they were all nurses during WWI.  Their mother knew about nursing from before she got married.  It is an interesting book, but doesn't flow very well because it isn't a novel, but instead is based on diaries and other historic accounts.  But if you are interested, it is well worth reading.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @CLEM--  that looks like it would be fascinating!

Honored Contributor

Thank you, oznell.  Count me among those fascinated by the tragic story of the Romanovs. 

"Anastasia" is a name appearing often in my family's lineage.  (Joke alert:  Perhaps I am a descendant of the Anastasia.)

Honored Contributor

Oh, neat, @golding76.  If I'm remembering correctly, you have a Greek Orthodox heritage?  Therefore, I wonder if both the Greek and Russian Orthodox traditions would share the same saints?  If there was a St. Anastasia, maybe it would recur in both traditions and be a shared christening name...

A beautiful name....  I also like the English medieval variant, "Annestas" which occurs on old brass rubbings and birth records in Britain....

Respected Contributor

Actually, it's the third daughter, Marie, who was considered the real beauty of the family. Tatiana, the second daughter, was considered more regal looking than the rest. 

And the fact the girls were wearing jewels sewn inside their clothing made it rather difficult for those shooting them.  Several of the Romanov servants were also killed. It was a horrendous time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

oznell,

If I remember correctly, the Greek Orthodox missionaries took "the faith, " Eastern Orthodoxy, to Russia.  That is why the Russian Cyrillic alphabet is similar to the Greek alphabet.  The Eastern Orthodox religion includes many different countries under its rubric; it is not just Greek Orthodox. 

The Russians, Serbs and other ethnic groups who belong to the Eastern Orthodox faith share the same dogma, the same faith; traditions can account for some variation in practice, and the language in a Russian Orthodox church or Greek Orthodox church spells out the main differentiating factor, for the most part.  It is the same church -- just a different country, language and local customs.

So, we share the same saints, honoring the same religious heroes and martyrs.   Although I am not an expert, I suspect there are saints for each ethnic division of the church that pertain primarily to that church's ethnicity.

Saint Basil (Vassilios), Saints Peter & Paul, Saint Marina (today is her celebration, by the way), the Panaghia (Virgin Mary), etc., are shared by all Eastern Orthodox churches.

"Anastasia" is most assuredly a christening name used by all Eastern Orthodox Christians. 

ETA:  

In the fifth century the relics of Saint Anastasia were transferred to Constantinople, where a church was built and dedicated to her. Later the head and a hand of the Great Martyr were transferred to the monastery of Saint Anastasia [Deliverer from Potions], near Mount Athos.

Respected Contributor

I am also interested in Elisabeth Romanov ,the czarina’s sister, her life and death.