Valued Contributor

Re: 100 YEARS AGO THIS MONTH, THE ROYAL ROMANOVS MET THEIR TRAGIC END

[ Edited ]

@Wahoogaz wrote:

History class was a long time ago, but if I remember correctly ... at the start of WWI, England, Russia and Germany were all being run by grandsons of Queen Victoria - which made them cousins. I don't remember the details of how the British family spread to those countries (and others) and took charge, but I bet family dinners were very awkward during WWI.

-----------

Yes, Kaiser Wilhelm was also a grandson of Queen Victoria.

Lots of intermarriage between the royal houses of that period, in hopes of promoting alliances as well as just finding appropriate royal mates for all of Victoria's progeny. As we know,  Victoria herself was married to a German.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell - Thank you for starting this thread. I, too, have always been fascinated by this part of history and have read everything I can about it. 

They even shot the dog. And when the girls weren't dying because the bullets didn't penetrate their clothes stuffed with the jewelry of course, they killed them by bayonets. Apparently one of the young guards gave an account once that was very graphic. 

When my late brother was in college in VA, someone claiming to be Anastasia came and spoke to the students. This was in the 80's. Of course we all know now she did not survive. 

The fact that none of their relatives helped reminds me of the ship taking wealthy Jews away during WWII that was denied port everywhere. So terrible.

I'd like to know what Russian children are taught about this in school.

I started to read a novel about an older woman of their court who was still living in Russia and looking back some years ago. I still have the book, and I should finish it. I'll have to look for it! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Wahoogaz wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Guess you  all know she was the granddaughter of Queen Victoria ?

Alexandra 'Alicky' think she was nicknamed. She wasn't in favor of  the

marriage in first place. 

History class was a long time ago, but if I remember correctly ... at the start of WWI, England, Russia and Germany were all being run by grandsons of Queen Victoria - which made them cousins. I don't remember the details of how the British family spread to those countries (and others) and took charge, but I bet family dinners were very awkward during WWI.

Possibly not as awkward as dinners in the WWII era. It's always been a point of discussion that the Duke of Windsor abdicated not due to his love for an American divorcee, but because he was a Nazi sympathizer. I believe Prince Phillip is of Greek and Danish royal families. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom, how fascinating for your late brother to have seen one of the women claiming to be Anastasia. I bet the one he heard was the most famous one, who came to live in America.

Would love to see inside the mind of such a person.  Were they truly deluded?  Or more likely, alienated and perhaps cunning, seeing a chance for fame and riches?  No wonder a film was made about this.  In the end, the Ingrid Bergman/Yul Brynner movie leaves it ambiguous.  At first, no one believes her.  In the end, some would like to believe her, including herself.....

Honored Contributor

GREED just like Thomas Markle and his warped family. Always look to the bottom line.

Frankly, I wouldn't admit to being a member of that family.  I could't afford the security guards.  By now they would be very old or dead anyway.

Respected Contributor

The myth of Anastasia has always fascinated me.  I wonder if imposters are brainwashed into thinking they are someone else.  I've read that imposters can actually pass lie detectors.

As for the link to present day royalty in the UK.  The House of Windsor only came into being in 1917.  It had plenty to do with the anti-German sentiment in the UK.  You could hardly have your reigning family bear a German name. 

Still, there were a lot of Nazi sympathizers when Hitler tramped through Europe.  Edward VIII, as the Duke of Windsor, and Wallis Simpson  both met with Hitler.

Esteemed Contributor

@RainCityWoman:  Prince Phillip's sister was married to a top Nazi.

Respected Contributor

Very true, but they were raised their entire life in an environment isolated from the real world with the belief that no one had the right to question their decisions as they were ordained by God to rule, and this mindset doomed them. 

@SharkE wrote:

Since history is one of my big interests I'd love to discuss this subject,but, it wouldn't work out or  whole  thread would end up getting poofed when the difference  in opinions would start going at it.

Suffice it to say. Folks like these and Marie Antoinette could have had a  different ending if they had listened more ,payed attention to what was going  on and  reacted while they had time.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @Ilovetea....the book "Nicholas and Alexandria" is a great book - sorry that I can't remember the author - seems like it's Robert somebody, but I'm probably wrong about that. I've read it several times in paperbook starting in the 80s I think and was captivated in a tragic way. I still have that paperback - just could never part with it. I agree with others that there is just no way Anastasia could have survived the massacre of the Romanov family. So many things led to what happened on that fateful day from the inability of the Czar and his advisors (other royalty) to have a clue to what the people of Russia were enduring to the short-sightedness of the Empress Alexandria as she was consumed with her son's hemophilia, and eventual close friendship with Rasputin who furthered the damage to the Royal Family. The country seemed to be ripe for a revolution and the Romanovs just had no clue how to deal with it. They truly never had a chance.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@CLEM wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

My husband would love that. Coin collector, sold  off most of  his stuff though when we moved

@SharkE  Nice to see you.  I have missed you.  Hope you are well.

trying to learn my new Bosch dishwasher. Complicated digital thingy LOL

@CLEM

@SharkE  I didn't know they made them in red.  My neighbors have a Bosh dishwasher and they love it.  It's so quiet.  I am sure you figure it out.