Honored Contributor

Re: 100 YEARS AGO THIS MONTH, THE ROYAL ROMANOVS MET THEIR TRAGIC END

She's dead believe me. No way she could of escaped what happened to the lot  of them.  All this make believe stuff that gets started up about historical figures is mostly Hollywood.

I trust what I read, period.

HISTORY TAG.gif

Valued Contributor

I have read many books about the Romanov dynasty and my favorite of all of them is Nicholas and Alexandra. I worked across the street from a rare coin shop in Chicago and managed to find a Romanov 1613-1913 coin that had I had read about in that book that Tsar Nicholas had minted to commemorate the 300 years of Romanov rule. I paid no more than $25 for an original in the 80’s and they are going for a lot more now. 

Honored Contributor

My husband would love that. Coin collector, sold  off most of  his stuff though when we moved

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I will look for this book as this is a favorite subject of mine to read about and discuss (well, reading what others have to say about it).  I've seen a few movies but as others have said, that's Hollywood and I don't believe much of what comes out of there when it pertains to history.

I haven't read any books lately; the fact that so much technology can now shed light on more and more aspects of history and research brings in more and more information that reading an up to date book about this horrific tragedy would be fascinating, I'm sure.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

My husband would love that. Coin collector, sold  off most of  his stuff though when we moved

@SharkE  Nice to see you.  I have missed you.  Hope you are well.

Respected Contributor

Reading through this thread, I think I have downloaded Nicholas and Alexandra some years ago.  Have to read it.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@SharkE  Nice to see you.  I have missed you.  Hope you are well.

trying to learn my new Bosch dishwasher. Complicated digital thingy LOL

@CLEM

Honored Contributor

Guess you  all know she was the granddaughter of Queen Victoria ?

Alexandra 'Alicky' think she was nicknamed. She wasn't in favor of  the

marriage in first place. 

Trusted Contributor

Here's another book you may want to leaf through:

Russia, July 17, 1918: Under direct orders from Vladimir Lenin, Bolshevik secret police force Anastasia Romanov, along with the entire imperial family, into a damp basement in Siberia where they face a merciless firing squad. None survive. At least that is what the executioners have always claimed. 

Germany, February 17, 1920: A young woman bearing an uncanny resemblance to Anastasia Romanov is pulled shivering and senseless from a canal in Berlin. Refusing to explain her presence in the freezing water, she is taken to the hospital where an examination reveals that her body is riddled with countless, horrific scars. When she finally does speak, this frightened, mysterious woman claims to be the Russian Grand Duchess Anastasia. 

For some reason, I find the story fascinating.  I will have to add these books to my TBR list.

Super Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Guess you  all know she was the granddaughter of Queen Victoria ?

Alexandra 'Alicky' think she was nicknamed. She wasn't in favor of  the

marriage in first place. 

History class was a long time ago, but if I remember correctly ... at the start of WWI, England, Russia and Germany were all being run by grandsons of Queen Victoria - which made them cousins. I don't remember the details of how the British family spread to those countries (and others) and took charge, but I bet family dinners were very awkward during WWI.