Super Contributor

Re: 10 years my junior. Yay or nay?

Ladies you made my day. I have the same thoughts. Life is short.

To answer some of the nay sayers. He’s a widow. A Christian and very Godly man. Financially secure. He’s not looking to play around. He was very much in love with his wife, and he took care of her in the end. She had leukemia.

I was looking for a good man who puts Jesus first and above all in life and so was he.

At this point we really really like each other and enjoy each other’s company. Only God knows the future. Marriage hasn’t been discussed and that’s ok. I’m by no means desperate. I just want to enjoy life and be happy while I’m still able to.

Thanks for all your supportive replies!!!!
Respected Contributor

Hey, if you're enjoying yourself, go for it.

But if you don't, ask him if he wants a TRULY older woman (I'm 66).  Just don't tell my husband.  Woman Wink  (It's a joke.  I adore my husband, whom I married when we were 46).

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

@Ditzydori  Do you attend church together?

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think 10 years is a big age difference.  Sure, way back when he was 2 and you were 12 maybe.  But not now!   You're not a cougar - You're both in the same age range.

I wouldn't think twice about it.  I've known lots of couples my entire life with age differences far greater than that.   

Just enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori .............A few years ago I dated a man that was 20 years younger, yup I was a cougar!  We had a great time but some people were appalled.  It wasnt like we were going to get married and start a family.  I just dont understand why its such a problem for some people.

You go for it girl and enjoy your life and your handsome man.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

It really is just a number; don’t over think it, sometimes people just connect, has nothing to do with age, race, religion etc....how many people do we meet in our life time that we really have a connection with...I’d say not a whole lot, so go for it and enjoy your time together😀

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

I married a younger man and we were sooo compatible.  26 years of love.  He made his transition quite suddenly.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Valued Contributor

I don't think it is the age difference so much as how you would handle problems that may crop up.  The main one with advancing age, is health problems that could crop up.  Many people in our neighborhood are married and most with age gaps from 10 to 17 years or so.  All of these marriages were long term for 20 to 40 years.   Unfortunately, none of  the marriages lasted.  It was sad to watch but it seemed like those age differences were minor in the beginning but became more significant with time.

Respected Contributor

Why the heck are you asking here?  

If the majority of posters say quit the relationship, are you willing to take their advice? If you have childen and grandchildren and they say quit the relationship, are you willing to take their advice?

You describe your relationship with him in positive terms. How long have you known him?  What's his background? Why is he single at 55?  For that matter, why are you single at 65?  I guess one of today's safety measures is having a background check done on him.  You might consider that.

Those are some of the things I think you ought to be throwing into the mix.  You've got to rely on your life experiences and your 65 year old "gut feelings", and maybe some information about who he is, to figure out your future.

Honored Contributor

My DH passed away on Christmas nine years ago.  I swore that I wouldn't date after that because we had the best marriage.  We didn't have children (our choice) and we had the best time with eachother.  I met a very nice man who happens to be 9 1/2 years younger three  years after my DH passed away.  We dated for awhile then I thought about the age difference and wanted to break it off.  He would not take no for an answer insisting age doesn't matter.  I had a good friend of mine that was dying of cancer at that time and I told her about my concerns and she told me that I cant worry about the things I can't change and life is short and to go for it if that was my only concern.  Fast forward we got married three years ago and everything is great.  I never thought I would be happy again.  I say go for it and enjoy.  I'm so happy for you.