Respected Contributor

Re: 10 year old being tried for murder as an adult

He should be talked to sternly. Video gaming privileges suspended for, say, a month,

Then, maybe, let him out on home release til he's 18. Preferably with members of his family who have young kids around who can "model" good behavior!!!

/S

Are some of you people kidding?

Charge him as an adult, try him on those terms, and if he's convicted, lock him up.

What do you want? Coddle him,let him go, and wait til he kills a classroom full of kids when he's 25?

Actually? Who cares? If he's old enough to kill his mother, he's old enough to go to prision. For life if necessary.

I will lose not ONE second of sleep.

MOM doesn't get a vote. She's dead.

And if there's someone else in that home who is moronic and idiotic enough to leave a weapon around for a kid to find and access, lock them up too. For life.

THEY turn these future monsters loose on society with thier own irresponsible behavior.

ANd when these mutants are eventually caught, WE have to support them for the next 60 years.

With amenities that WE have to pay for our entire life. Heat, AC, Medical, Dental, Education, Free attorney support, Television, Media access., clothing, food....etc..

And before they get that lifelong reward, WE have to endure the indignity of waiting YEARS for them to even come to trial. That's a joke too.

So SICK of excuses.

Respected Contributor

Around 1970 I taught a boy in fifth grade who was unlike any child I had ever encountered or would ever encounter again in my entire teaching career. He had been diagnosed as not having a conscience. His parents were trained how to discipline him and helped the school provide him guidance. Nothing worked. He would have been 10 or 11.

This boy who killed his mother could be an anomaly that most have never seen. He may need to be tried as an adult so that he will not age out of the juvenile system and be able to harm someone else. We have no way of understanding the complexities of this situation.

Esteemed Contributor

Remember "The Bad Seed"? Maybe some children are just born bad. Part of me thinks that he should be tried as an adult, another part thinks of his age, though that shouldn't be a factor in the crime.

Makes a case for not having any children.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Regular Contributor

Very sad. He’ll have to be in a secure juvenile detention facility for treatment rehabilitation and education for many many years.
Honored Contributor

No mother wants to think their child has the potential to be a murderer, but there were red flags all over the place. I'm just glad family members came forward or his "it was an accident" lie might have been accepted. In all likelihood, he won't be sentenced as an adult, but I hope justice prevails in whatever manner is deemed appropriate.

Honored Contributor

All I have to say is what about the people, the workers, the children, the family, neighbors and community--anyone who has been around the child in the past or will be around him in the future.

Can you even imagine? Let's talk more about those people and worry more about what they will and have gone through and how all of them are protected. Isn't that the priority here? Who can say what will happen with the child--depends on so much.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trailrun23wrote:

I am so saddened and surprised to learn of a 10 year-old boy in Milwaukee who shot and killed his mother because she wouldn't let him order a headset on Amazon. He is charged with first degree murder and they are going to try him as an adult.From the info his family members have given, this boy has displayed emotional issues and mental health instability all his life. His mother had taken him to a therapist but it didn't sound like there was much done after that. He shows all the warning signs; cruelty to animals, fire-starting and a penchant for playing with explosives, etc. How on earth can they put this little boy in jail for 60 years? I see no mention of an insanity plea or any attempt at helping him... he is clearly deeply disturbed. 60 years sitting in prison?

What do you think should be done with him?

He should be charged as an adult. He is not a "little boy" but a young sociopath. He murdered his mother and at age 10, he knows right from wrong & he premeditated the murder. He can't be rehabilitated imo but will get counseling of some sort. If released into society his behavior will escalate & he will kill again. This is the kind of person you don't want walking freely amongst innocent people, especially children his own age.

Honored Contributor

If not for the gun, he would have used a knife, set her on fire, clubbed her...Personally, I would rather be shot than the other options; it's more humane. The mother should have given up custody and turned him over to the state. It wasn't a matter of if, but when he would kill and how many.

Respected Contributor

Chip him.

Honored Contributor

If he's sent to a juvenile facility, all others would need to be protected from him. He would spend most of his time alone or under heavy supervision, I would think.

It's hard to imagine him serving with adult men, again, he'd need to be alone most of the time (solitary?) or always under heavy supervision.

He could get help needed at either place, I guess, as far as what they would even offer for that. I cannot imagine.

The mother is deceased now, but just imagine if he had taken that gun to school or the neighborhood streets.