Esteemed Contributor

Re: 10 Year Old Cassidy and The NY Yankees

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

@nana59@NicksmomESQ, One of you is a grandmother (as am I) and one of you is a mom.  I struggle to understand, as I'm guessing you do too, what is going on that makes kids so cruel to other kids.  I grew up pretty poor, and didn't have the clothes other kids had, but also had more than some of my classmates.  It never occurred to any of us that one was more or less, better or worse, becuase of what we did or didn't have.  It hurts my heart to read about the suicides among our youth becuase of bullying.  Do you think if more athletes, singers, actors stepped up like the Yankees did that they may make an impact?

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  Yes,I’m a mom of a 26 year old son.When my son was in 8th grade he was bullied by a kid who ended up punching him in the stomach.I went down to the school & gave the principal a choice.Either he call the police or I will!! He tried to say that it could be handled in house.I insisted. He called the police.The kid was arrested. He was ultimately suspended from school for the remainder of the school year. He never returned to school.

My son was lucky he had 2 parents who always had his back.Not all kids have that.My heart aches every time I hear another story.Parents have to insist & pressure the schools to act .Teachers & administrators must get involved!! They have to be willing to file police reports & press charges.We trust the schools with our children. They must protect them,period.

Valued Contributor

@NicksmomESQ, kudos to you for being a responsible, caring parent and taking action!  Just as importantly is your son felt he could come to you and your husband and tell you what happened to him.  I often wonder if these kids being bullied are too afraid to tell their parents or if the parents just tell them to toughen up and figure it out.  

Respected Contributor

This Red Sox fan has to give Kudos to the Yankees, brilliantly done. I hope we see more of her and with the Yankees. 

Valued Contributor

@conlt, from a Yankees fan to a Red Sox fan I give you a huge thank you!  If we can join forces, there still may be hope for world peace and an end to bullyiing!  Hugs, LuLu

Esteemed Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ, kudos to you for being a responsible, caring parent and taking action!  Just as importantly is your son felt he could come to you and your husband and tell you what happened to him.  I often wonder if these kids being bullied are too afraid to tell their parents or if the parents just tell them to toughen up and figure it out.  

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  Yes, you’re right.A lot of parents would say “boys will be boys” & “they have to toughen up”. Some of the other kids were afraid their parents would think they were sissies.

My son always knew, & still does, that he could come to us,& tell us anything.Kids have to be able to go to a trusted adult,wether it’s a parent or a teacher, to ask for help!!

Honored Contributor

Can the bullied children call the police and report bullies? I didn't think of that but a very good move on the mothers part to have the police step in.  A report filed each and every time would give the parents of the bullied children legal evidence in a court of law.  

Honored Contributor

Here’s where I get a little uncomfortable about a story like this.

First, if this child has been bullied for as long as she and her family describe, there is an atmosphere in at least some part of her school setting that permits the treatment to which she is subjected.

In my personal and professional experience, adults who work in school settings and assume the shoulder shrugging “kids will be kids” stance when a student has been made uncomfortable by the actions of h/h peers serve to perpetuate the idea that a pecking order is OK. 

MEAN CONDUCT has to be addressed as a class effort and a school effort in order to change the tone of the school environment, and that has to be happening in classrooms, play areas, cafeterias..... EVERY SPACE where kids are left to maintain there own codes of conduct.

Second, every instance of a bullying complaint needs investigation and direct, specific, immediate attention from an adult authority figure, and the information garnered must be maintained. 

I seriously doubt that Cassidy is the only child being bullied in her school, and although she’s received positive attention through this gesture, it remains to be seen whether the current Yankees response will result in long term changes for her, no matter how great this story is.

Children die every day, but EVERY parent is responsible for being sure that they are not complicit in the death of a child they know is bullying, or being bullied.